Wednesday, January 09, 2008

wips. not chains...

I'm kind of wondering what kind of Google searches that title is going to land me...

There is a difference between WIPs and UFOs. I have many UFOs around the house (we're talking double digits, here), but I usually keep the WIPs to a manageable number. (I have a very loose definition of "manageable", obviously...)
Let me here explain MY definition of the two terms:

WIP - something I am actively working on, and pick up or look at at LEAST every other day. UFO - a project I have started and may or may not finish, or even ever pick up and look at again. It may be completed, It may be frogged, it may languish in a half done state forever.

Okay, back to the WIPs. I am currently working on the following:
Black Watch Socks for Hubby. (Toe Jam sock yarn, hand dyed by Rabbitch, bought from the Sweet Sheep online.) One complete, next one ready to be cast on, but I delayed it a bit - Nancy wants to learn a toe up cast on, and I thought I would show her how I do it at our Guild meeting last night.
Coffee Bean Socks, probably for Hubby, maybe for the gift box. (Merino Tencel blend from (the name escapes me) bought from the Sweet Sheep booth at KW fair last September. One about 3/4 of the way done.
Beaded choker - Bugle Bead pattern from Brenda Franklin, using a mix of metallic beads (gold, silver, bronze and copper). Maybe for me, maybe for the gift box.
Drops Silke Tweed summer sweater. For ME!
Selbuvotter Mittens, using Shelridge Farms Hand Painted and Sisu sock yarn. One done, and the second one is in progress - cuff done, thumb gusset and body being worked.
Kid sweater, for my son. I started this a while ago, and as I worked on it, he kept growing (as 8 year olds are apt to do), and I decided to time it for next fall, and therefore made it bigger. (It was already plenty big around, so it is more a case of adding length). However, I ran out of yarn and had to get more. (Cotton Ease). Luckily, the breaks will be at the stripes, so the dye lot difference (if any) won't be incredibly noticeable. Technically, if I stick to the definition above, this isn't really a WIP, but a UFO, but it sits in full view, and now that I have the needed yarn, it should get back into rotation.
Montego Bay scarf in a merino - tussah silk lace weight that I bought... somewhere. (Kitchener? Knitter's Frolic?) Very nice, easy pattern, luscious yarn.
River Rock Scarf - yes this is still in the rotation, and very close to the end - I'm past the half way mark, closer to 3/4, and should really just finish it. But it will probably be a gift, so now the rush is not as great. We'll see if this keeps WIP status or drops to UFO...

I am fairly amazed at those knitters that can pick a project, and stick to it monogamously. I need the variety. Plus, I always keep a project in my bag, so I can knit at work at lunch or at other odd times of the day. Hence the need for numerous socks. The beads - well, when I feel like testing the ole eyesight, this is the project. Then something larger like the summer sweater or the Selbu mitts for when I can concentrate on charts.

Normal? Whatever. It works for me, and I guess that's all that matters.

5 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

I like the Montego Bay Scarf. That is lovely.

Needles said...

Right now I'm trying to finish something big. I've knit a lot since May, and it has been a blast, but it has all been small. I want to finsih one big thing just to prove to myself that I can. However I am thinking of ripping, moving up a whole needles size and starting over. If it was knit with a bigger gauge it would be more than half done.

Anonymous said...

I agree - the more blogs I read the more I see that whatever makes a knitter happy is the definition of their "normal".

Anonymous said...

I love everything there! Wow - socks for next year's Christmas gift box. It seems the year can pass and be tracked by projects done.

Carol said...

if you haven't already kept one of your necklaces for yourself, (or even if you have!) keep this one.l It's lovely....