Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sewing answers

Before I get to the sewing stuff - Needles has chosen the hand dyed sock weight yarn, and Nancy gets the choker - thanks to everyone for playing!
Also, Barbie O in Montreal was asking about the pattern I used for the choker - Barbie - you were right - it is Brenda Franklin's Bugle Loop necklace!

Tracy asked me a couple of questions regarding my fabric purchases and stash.

She was wondering where I buy my fabric. Well, as much as I would love to say I haunt Queen Street West in Toronto, or have a secret little fabulous independent fabric seller, the truth is I'm a working, suburban Mom with limited free time. So Fabricland it is. I bypass all the cutesy prints, and head for the classics. That's where I found all the fabrics in the pictures. The stretch twill was on a table with some bottomweights - they had 3 or 4 colours. I don't know how stretch twill would work for a sling, never having used a sling myself - my boy was a stroller baby - he was always too hot to wear on me, and way too independent to even WANT to be worn! The shantungs were in that area as well.

However, once I dig a little deeper into the stash, I know I will find some unique stuff - stuff I bought mail order, as well as stuff I found at warehouse sales or other places. I also worked for a drapery company years ago, and have bolts of drapery weights as well as cottons I got from them. The mail order predates on-line buying - I used to belong to a couple of fabric clubs - one based in Kingston, ON, and one in BC, I think. 4 times a year they sent me 2x2 inch swatches of a selection of fabrics - nice stuff, usually 2 or 3 coordinates. Good pricing, I remember. I scored some fabulous linen and silk and other goodies from them. I still have all the swatches - I think I planned on making a quilt top with them, because some have been sewn up into strips already. We'll see where that project goes...

Tracy also wondered how I estimate yardage when I don't know what I'm making. That's a little tougher. Pants for example take AROUND 3.0 metres of 115cm fabric, but if there is any degree of tailoring, I'd factor in a little more. Tops, depending on sleeve length take about 2 metres or so, again depending on the degree of "fussiness". If you can get 150cm fabric widths, all the better - you need less. Jackets will need closer to 2.5 - 3.0 metres, more if there's lapels, tailoring, cuffs. etc.

When I buy fabric with no particular pattern in mind, I guesstimate. Or, I may buy meterage as determined by the sale. For example, a lot of what I bought recently was "buy 1 metre, get 2 free". Bang - that's an automatic 3 metres.

I bought 3 metres of the red shantung - 150cm wide. I cut out a sleeveless dress, that had some extras - a yoke, some front shaping and pockets. There's enough left over for s simple straight skirt - the joys of 150cm wide fabric.

Otherwise, I buy around 2-3 metres of fabrics, sometimes 4 if its only 115cm and I'm thinking dress. Yes, I get burned sometimes - the green sandwashed silk I have sitting staring at me for example. I had dreams of a slash neck tunic. No go - only 2 metres of 115cm. But, I have enough patterns that I will find something to match of a length of fabric.

Speaking of Fabricland - this past Saturday they had their Members 50% off sale. I loaded up on threads, notions and more patterns, and found a few more fabrics that caught my eye:
a nice wool blend black and white mini houndstooth - perfect for a classic skirt - very straight. I'm not sure If I'm going long or short with this one.

a black white and red check - almost a Glen Plaid. Again - classic, never go out of style stuff. I think a jumper (or pinafore for any Brits reading). One of the patterns I picked up has a nice one - a up-to-date twist on the basic pattern. Great to wear with a red turtleneck.

and more plaid! THis is a black,brown and blue wool blend. THis fabric is a little firmer than the two above - not sure the plans for it.

And finally, a rayon blend in a muted floral:

The gold flowers are not as prominent as they appear - there is less contrast in real life. This is already planned for a longish skirt, with a little flare at the hem.

While it doesn't appear to be, I still knit. It's just that I'm working on really boring things. Do you really want to see a few more inches on the Black Watch socks? I didn't think so. Once those are done and given to Hubby, it's socks for Me! Mama-E's C*EYE*BER Fiber in the "gregory" colourway is calling to me, and is the next to be cast on... (edited to add - I cast it on last night - yum!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn,I was close! Congratulations to both winners!

I agree with Barbie, your bead choice makes that necklace. Well done.

A. Lurker

Anonymous said...

Damn,I was close! Congratulations to both winners!

I agree with Barbie, your bead choice makes that necklace. Well done.

A. Lurker

Carol said...

You are way too talented. I feel inept!

TracyKM said...

As I'm reading this, there's a FabricLand commercial on the TV, LOL. I went on Saturday too, it was so busy and I didn't have nearly enough time to browse. I did get stuff for slings or maybe clothes--somehow it all ended up being chocolate brown! Stretch cord, fleece (slings), and a reversible twill. I'll have to go back and dig more for stretch twill; I saw a bit but had my limits. And somehow I lucked out and it's all 150cm!!! I got burned recently with my son's pajamas--the flannel was quite a bit narrower than the pattern amounts and I guess the cutting lady didn't guessimate very well as too how much more I'd need. Just squeeked it in, good thing he's slim.
I can't wait to see what you sew!

Needles said...

I'm really enjoying seeing the fabric choices. As good as knitting!

This yarn is going to get used. I need a scarf, I love the colour and I have a lace effect I want to try. With luck your lovely yarn will mnatch my lace effect to give a nice casual scarf that I can wear with almost anything.

I am not strong enough to resist yarn that feels good, it will be lovingly used. It only took a moment to know the BAND from the ball IS going on my trophy shelf. I might even bronze it.