Friday, January 25, 2008

do I need to change the name of this blog?

Off the top - thanks for the well wishes on the new job. It is very exciting - it's new challenges in an energy-charged atmosphere that is family-oriented and so very welcoming, and I haven't even started there yet! I start on the 19th of February, so I have some time to spend at home, regrouping, knitting, sewing and spoiling my boys with some most excellent mid week meals that I don't have to throw together in an instant while hearing "But Mommmm, I HUUUNNNGGGRRRYYY!"
Also, the training of the replacement has commenced. Hoo boy, this should be interesting. I keep telling her to take notes, as there are some quirks to the system that are not always front-of-mind. "That's OK, I'll remember" is what I get back. I'm realizing just how much I do around here - it's way more than my official job description. I guess they'll figure that out soon. Oh, and neither HR nor the owners has yet to acknowledge me. High road, Sandra. Stay on the high road. They're not worth it...

Now, on to the subject of this post...

It seems like it's "all sewing all the time" chez Curlerchik. Not exactly true, but I will cop to spending more time with the machine, and less with the needles...

But I like the results:

The checked shantung fabric - a simple top - asymmetrical hem, 3/4 length sleeves, bust and back darts. Fits nice, looks good. I'm happy. There is a skirt in the works in the same fabric, but the solid taupe shade of the check.

The red shantung dress. Meh. I like the details, but the fit is just OK. The princess seam darts hit me at a spot that just makes the girls look, well, strange. This will be relooked at in the future to see if I can make adjustments. I could give it to someone, but I'm using one of the fun functions on my new machine on the hems or facings of what I'm making:

Yup - my machine embroiders letters. Too much fun! But, it makes it harder to give away...

And my son is entering birthday party season. It seems like every friend he has has a birthday from January to March (including him). This past weekend he had two parties, one for a girl. I had some extra time and fabric, so I whipped this up:

How cute is this? Some of the leftover shantung from the top I made. And I embroidered her name of the other side of the bag. It's about 6 inches square, and according to the Mom, the birthday girl loved the bag as much as the game. I love that kind of feedback. My son of course couldn't care less. He got to go to a swimming party, eat pizza and cake and get a loot bag. All is good in his world...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those embroidery stitches! They can really be put to good use, just like you've done. Great idea and great silk pieces. I can picture the top with your earthy-coloured silk lace shawl.

TracyKM said...

The red dress has neat details. Maybe trying it on with a different bra?

Carol said...

You are still spending time with needles. Just not KNITTING needles.....

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea to embroider your name on the hem. My machine has two different alphabets so I might start doing that with the PJ's I sew for the kids and put a little love message there just for them. I already have used the letters for quilt labels quite a bit.

As for your replacement's refusal to listen, that's her tough luck when you're gone and she messes up. You warned her, so don't sweat it. Outta here, outta here...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds so much better than what you've been living and working with. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the end of February while they scamper around trying to figure out how to do what you did, and get it all done!!
Your sewing is gorgeous. If you unpin the hem and add "by" in cursive before your name, you can still give it away, but it may still be difficult.
It's great to hear you so enthusiastic.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

Anonymous said...

The title of your post made me smile as it was just the other day I was wondering whether you were curling this year as I don't think you have referred to it at all this season!