Wednesday, January 16, 2008

making me laugh! and making new clothes...

Carol and Wannietta - man, you two are good!! I laugh out loud when I read the comments. I think it's hilarious, and no, we're not there yet, but you're making it happen soon!
I've been thoroughly enjoying my new sewing machine. Good tools make all the difference. I'm a pretty experienced sewer, but using an older machine. This new one just makes it so much easier. Even my husband noticed how much more time I'm spending downstairs...
As promised - some of the fabrics I've recently acquired: (trying to distract you from lack of knitting progress...)
a couple of chiffon-y types - lightweight, cool prints. Destined for summery tops, possible floaty skirts. I have 3 metres of each.
a brown lightweight cotton swiss dot - the white dots are woven in, so there's some texture to this. Again, probably a summer tunic and maybe some cropped wide legged pants - again - 3 metres.
3 metres of a stretch twill - the colour is slightly off here - it's a sage-y grayish green, with woven in stripes in silvery gray and darker green. I'm thinking an unstructured cropped jacket and some tailored capris for summer.
some poly blend shantungs. 3 metres of the red, shot with black warp threads and 2 metres each of the taupe and the check. The red is already well on it's way to becoming a dress - great pattern, day to evening type, depending on how I accessorize. I now have a hankering for a black lace shawl...

The taupe (although it appears green here) will be a basic slim skirt to the knee, and the coordinating check is slated to be a top - basic shaping, 3/4 length sleeves. The check pattern is quite large, and needs simple lines. The check is a lighter weight of the same fabric, so it will hang better as a top. There's enough of the taupe after I cut out the skirt to also make a simple sleeveless top, so that's also planned.
And that's just the NEW stuff! If I thought my yarn stash was extensive, I had forgotton about my fabric stash - shelves and shelves of fabrics. Some nice, some dated. Not sure what I'm going to do with the "don't think I'll wear it" stuff. Maybe gift bags...

10 comments:

Needles said...

I absolutely love the fabric in the last picture.

Now about this contest.

I have a strategy. I'm like one of those little old ladies who watches people play slots, and waits till they leave for more change, and then swoops in to win.

I'll just sit back and watch, patiently while I let everyone else bump up the number count.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I have a fabric stash too! What about quilts? Like needles, I'm watching the numbers too........

Jo-Anne

Anonymous said...

Sandra
please please do a WASHED swatch you will be supprised how much this particular yarn blooms
I would hate to see you knit a very stiff hoody

Unknown said...

I live to serve m'Lady!

Beautiful fabric!! I suck at sewing and while I have a machine it's for emergencies and appearances only.

Anonymous said...

You will be swathed in fabric. I love 'swathed'.

Carol said...

Them's is some gorgeous fabrics! I keep thinking about sewing. that's about it, just thinking....Are we there yet? Are we there yet? are we there yet? what comment are we at? Are we there yet? (do you wanna slap me yet?)

katrynka said...

I need to get back to sewing. I have a very "luverly" Husqvarna machine that has embroidery capabilities. And quite a fabric stash as well!

Janis said...

Okay, I had to go to Fabricland today and buy fabric for a skirt or...three. It was already a plan of mine, but then I read your blog and got the fabric bug.

I've been sewing with an old machine since forever, and I always wonder what it might be like with a machine that isn't older than I am and covered with yellow, orange and brown hippie flowers.

TracyKM said...

Very nice, classic fabrics! Where do you buy fabric? I'd like to find an alternative to FabricLand. Especially for stretch twill. Great for slings. And how much do you buy when you don't know exactly what you're going to make?

ikkinlala said...

I like the colour of that red fabric.