Wednesday, August 08, 2007

started as one thing, finished as another

Remember this?The start of a Socks that Rock sock - Harlotty Colourway. A lovely mix of my favourite greens and browns. These socks were going to be all mine. The colours are me - just like the coats I wear in the fall and winter...


The foot was coming along nicely - mindless rounds of stockinette, once I got the toe finished... wait a minute... It matches my COATS? I don't wear socks near my coat - I cover them up with jeans and shoes...


Then, something happened. 12 stitches placed on a provisional thread... more straight knitting, no heel, some ribbing... back to those provisional stitches - knit them up...


Yup. these I will wear near my coat...



Harlotty Socks that Rock Mittens
1 skein of Lightweight STR (lots left over!)
2.25mm needles
64 stitches
Turkish toe cast on (using 2 knitpicks circulars), then switch to knitpicks dpns.
Around where I wanted the thumb to start, I knit across 12 stitches with waste yarn, the placed those stitches back on the left needle, and knit them again with the STR. finished up with some 2x2 ribbing.
Then - back to the thumb - picked up the 12 stitches top and bottom, got rid of the waste yarn. Knit around, picking up two extra stitches at each end to fill in, so a total of 28 stitches for the thumb. Knit up until as long as I needed, k2 together a few rounds and gathered them up and sewed it off.

Completely "fly by the seat of my pants" knitting, although I did mark down some notes so the second one had a fighting chance of matching. I lucked out - they fit perfectly.

7 comments:

Carol said...

Those turned out well! And you say you were flying by the seat of your pants eh? Pretty cool flying.

Unknown said...

Very nice Sandra!

Anonymous said...

Love 'em!! Did you use up the entire skein?

Janis said...

Those are fabulous!

TracyKM said...

Very nice! I like top down mittens, did one pair on the LK150 even. But I've never understood having the thumb come out from the palm. I've never tried this style on, so I don't know squat, but my hands aren't shaped that way. But it sure makes it easier than doing a gusset! Thanks for writing it down for us, it's nice to have mitten recipes for those odd skeins of sock yarn! And, really, are these the FIRST mittens you've made both of a pair?!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Great idea, well done.

Judith said...

Thanks for this recipe! I have tons of sock yarn and I love mittens. I've been sort of considering testing my own pattern and you just gave me the push i needed

Judtih