Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I missed it! Dang!

Aug. 13 was Left-Handers' Day. We lefties deserve a special day. Face it - the strong association between the left and very bad things, such as, say … Satan(!), kind of puts a damper on the whole "uniqueness" of it.

"Not that long ago, many young lefties schooled under stern nuns were forced to write with their right hands or their knuckles would pay the price."

This is a quote I found. I can go one better - I started school in Quebec. I had my left hand tied behind me so as to force me to write right-handed. Luckily, my Dad was transferred to Ontario shortly after that. (It only lasted one day - my Mom and Dad had what amounted to a hissy fit with the teacher - Mom dealt with the same issue when she was a kid - she had the nasty nuns. She is now ambidextrous. I just had a horribly backwards fervernt Catholic teacher that thought I was the devil incarnate. Yeah, I don't practice Catholicism in any way, shape or form.)

The word "sinister"is derived from a Latin word that means "left."

A left-handed toast amounts to a curse, not a well-wish. - Excellent! I'll have to remember this if I ever "toast" my current boss...

In some cultures, eating with the left hand is impolite. - My husband spent months in Bahrain during university. If we ever go back, he would have to school me in the eating habits - I would not be welcome at many tables, unless I made myself use my right hand.

If I ever decide to take up polo playing - I'm screwed.

FASCINATING LEFT-HANDED FACTS

Most left-handers draw figures facing to the right - Yes, I do.

There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left-handed - not a twin, so a moot point.

Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child, like King of England George VI). - I guess I got out easy, neither of these apply.

Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater (is that why left-hander Mark Spitz won gold medals for swimming in the Olympics?)


Left-handers excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing - Ok at tennis and baseball, pretty good swimmer, never fenced, but I was a archery champion...


Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers - ummmm, ok. Can't say I noticed this.

4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed - cool.

1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level. - very cool.

Left-handers are generally more intelligent, better looking, imaginative and multi-talented than right handers ( based on discussions among members of the Left-Handers Club! :) - Have to agree here...



OK, now some personal thoughts on this:

I am mostly left handed, however, I bat right handed, and I golf right handed. I do throw balls left, and I throw curling stones left handed - really throws off opposing teams...

Surprsingly I can arch (bow and arrow) both ways, but did best left handed.

My nephew is a lefty - his parents are NOT happy about this, and thought about tryiing to "fix" this (their words) when he was younger. I normally do not interfere in other people's child raising, but I had to say something here. Ultimately, they didn't attempt to change him. I think my SIL wanted to (Catholic), but Husband's brother prevailed and Nephew is happily lefty.


I wanted to have pictures of my current WIP's - I seem to have had a sock explosion - three different pairs currently on the needles. Plus, Lucky has started a River Rock Scarf from No Sheep for You, and it reminds me of the one I currently have going - I need to get back to it, because I do enjoy it. Plus I have some Atacama Alpaca (like Lucky is using) in a different colourway, and now I want to make ANOTHER one using it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you finished your River Rock yet?

Janis said...

My sisters are both left-handed and my great aunt is ambi because she was forced to write with her right hand at school, but always wrote with her left at home.

Also, when I was a kid I wanted to be left-handed SO BAD. I'm still a bit jealous.

Carol said...

The only reason I can see nowadays to "fix" a left-hander is that many things are set up for right handers. But most lefties adapt so, what's the point? Interesting about the gaming ambidexterity you mentioned, I am right handed but play video games with a joystick better lefthanded. Found out one day when my right hand hurt but I didn't want to stop playing.....And my scores were triple the usual! I tried it again out of curiousity a few days later and it happened again. weird, huh?

CarolMM said...

Yay for Lefties!
I'm one, and I totally enjoyed your post. Unfortunately, I too missed the fact that August 13 was Leftie Day.