Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Right back at cha, Steph!

(I figured if she can take pictures of us with a sock, I can do the same to her...)

So Stephanie and Rachel H came to Aurora last night. What fun! We started at my house - eating our fill of food, beer, wine and other things. Yes, the butter tarts made a return appearance, as well as the veggie quesadillas. The tomatoes from Ann's garden were a great addition. In between all the chowing down, stories were told (No one will ever get into a car with Joan T again!), friendships were made, and an all around good time was had. When we finally vacated the house (much to the relief of my husband and son, who were hiding in the living room), we headed off to the church for Steph's talk. (I'm still trying to figure out if anyone Kinneared us! It's hard to tell...)

I introduced Stephanie, and she talked while we all knit. Thankfully, I was working on stockinette socks (see above - Shelridge Farms handpaint - yummy!) There was no way I could have kept to pattern, what with all the laughing. You know, there's a reason "At Knit's End" won the Benjamin Franklin prize for written humour (note - not KNITTING humour, all humour!), she is a funny lady. She know how to tell a story to keep you interested, and man! she had a lot of them. CHOKE featured prominently, and we all know members of CHOKE (Cultural Humiliation Of Knitters Everywhere) - some are in my own extended family!

After the talk, she signed books, and then we headed back to Tove's shop - she stayed open late for all of us. We enabled each other rather nicely (Rachel H grabbed the angry caribou buttons - I swear if she hadn't I would have! They were too funny!). While at the shop, Stephanie and Fiona Ellis (who had come to hear Steph talk), regaled us with stories of their travels, and a little inside info on people in the Knitting World. We also got to see a sneak peak of Fiona's new book "Inspired Fair Isle Knits" - she had an advance copy. I am SO getting this book! The kid's sweater! The halter! The jacket with the fair isle pockets! The... well, you'll just have to wait until October when it releases, and I promise you, you will get the book as well.


After more yarn perusing and chatting, we finally left. The three of us made a pit stop back at my place for a coffee (or beer, for those that don't drink coffee late at night - you'll have to guess which one of us that was...) and more talking!

Steph - the Car's song you were thinking of? "Whose Gonna Drive You Home?"

Rachel H - you and I were thinking of "You Might Think"

(I'd link to stuff, but to be honest, I'm really tired, and after taking a day off work, I'm a little swamped today (yes, I am stealth blogging from work - such a bad girl!)

I met some great people last night - lurkers who told me they read this blog (always nice to hear), and of course, Rachel H. I'm hoping a friendship has formed there - she's a great person. Stephanie and I have already talked about next year - we've had the hottest day in August, and now the coldest day in August. We figure we'll plan for locusts or something next year. Whatever happens, I hope she knows she's always welcome - the beer fridge is always full, and food is always available. But most of all, she and Rachel (and anyone else she wants to drag along) are always welcome in my home, my town and my LYS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra:
I'm one of the lurkers from last night. It was great to meet you. Stephanie was hilarious...I loved the comments about CHOKE! Thank you to the York Region Guild for arranging her visit.
Maybe we'll meet again on the bus to the KW fair.

Anonymous said...

Right back atcha, Sandra. Thanks so much for being a great hostess and friend last night. Totally worth the trip.

And thanks even more for the song names. Phew.

Janis said...

It was so much fun, Sandra! Thanks for organising it.

Carol said...

I hope you plan way far ahead next year so I can organize my work schedule appropriately! Please? With sugar on top?

Anonymous said...

great evening!
thank you sandra for organizing the event.
maybe we should put heads together re: The Weather. we ought to be able to come up with something.
remember the power of Knitters.
see you on the 4th.