Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Christmas list

I often refer to my Christmas knitting on this blog. I basically start thinking about one Christmas as soon as I finish wrapping everything for the previous one. I love Christmas. I love giving well thought out things to the people I care about. I don't particularly care for the getting of gifts (although very nice!), as I'm very much like my Dad in so many ways. One of which is, if I need something, I usually go out and buy it. I've been told I'm extremely hard to buy things for. Personally, I think this is a crock. I've told people that I'm happy with wool. They don't believe me. I tell them again. My extended family doesn't think I mean it. Really. The same people that rarely see me without knitting attached to me in some way. They don't think I want WOOL as a gift. It's a lost cause. I've told them knitting magazine subscriptions make a nice gift. I get Canadian Living. (a fine publication, don't get me wrong, But after 10 years, they start repeating themselves...).

My Mom gets it. She basically tells me what she is thinking of buying as gifts for everyone (including me), so, while there is no surprise with Mom, there are also never any returns. She gets my brother and husband Mark's Work Wearhouse GC's and SIL and I get Winners. Perfect. The kids are checked with in advance, and the correct clothing / electronic gear / stuff is chosen. My mother, for a flighty French Canadian woman, is the Christmas goddess.

My in-laws are another thing altogether. My FIL shops exclusively in the tool department at Canadian Tire, and my MIL always buys all of us girls (5 in total) the same thing in different colours. She has wonderful taste, but unfortunately, it's usually stuff she thinks we SHOULD wear, not stuff I would ACTUALLY wear. But the thought is there. Lately however, it's been much more practical. They are so busy, so they just write cheques. Works out well all around.

I mean, really, I'm 45 (or I will be, hang on, I have to check the calendar - yup- 45 later this year). There's not a lot I need (other than wool, but I know I'm not getting that). To me, it's about the kids. I love watching my son and his cousins and friends get excited about the time of year. It's what makes it all worthwhile. And for me, it's about giving of myself. I love making things for other people. That's why I give so much of my knitting away. (and why I knit so many small things - I'm not stupid).

Carol asked me about the size of my Christmas list. I added it up.

19 women
7 girls
11 men
14 boys

Okay, now not all of them get something knitted, but some get multiple knitted things, so on average, I give away around 50 or so gifts each year. And I love doing it. I also pick and choose the recipients. My Mom, MIL, FIL and some friends will ALWAYS get socks. They love them, care for them, wear them and appreciate them. My brother and his wife - not so much - we have agreed not to exchange gifts. But my nieces and nephews (with one exception), love the hand knits. They stay on the list. My SILs also stay on the list - their gifts just change each year. One SIL got Icarus last year. A hand knit lace weight lace shawl. I got a small note in February (after her mother said something, I'm sure), and have heard through the grapevine that she loves it, but she has never said anything directly to me. If Jen has her way, she's getting nothing this year, but she'll get something. I'm just not sure what. I mean, I don't do it for the accolades, but a hearfelt thanks goes a long way. Or even better, seeing them use the stuff. I've had to convince peole that putting hand knits "away"" because "they're too nice to use", is not right. We make things because we want people to use them, not put them away. It's funny, my close friends seem to appreciate the handknits more than family (with the exception of my husband - he rocks the hand knit socks. Not only does he pick yarn from my stash (plain, wild, anything goes except pink), he wears them all the time and he shows them off). My one girlfriend gets stocked up on golf socks each year (1 pair done, hopefully 3 more to go). I don't think I have time this year for a big lace project. That's why the bracelets will be great. Quick to do, (but no one has to know that), and basically, good bang for the buck. If they don't like 'em, well, too bad - at least wear them once in my presence, then you can toss 'em. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an amazingly small list. Three people to buy for - parents and Beau. Bro and I exchange cards. Best friend may or may not get a knitted gift. That's it!

Carol said...

You'd think a nice phone call would be easy enough. "I lurv the (handknit item) you sent me" Even if they don't, say it and re-gift without saying something. Jeez, a little manners? My momma taught me to say thanks. what ar ethey learning nowadays? boy, I sound old. Hmmm, I feel old too!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about thank yous.

Just curious. Do you have any teenage boys on your list? If so, what hand knit items have you made for them?

Lynn

Anonymous said...

That SIL is lucky to have one of your beautiful bracelets after last year's stunt. I know, I'm transferring my own "Waterfall wedding quilt angst" from my SIL onto yours, but nearly a year later, I'm still PO'd on your behalf! I think a bracelet would be lovely and since I know they are a quick project, it is just the right amount of effort to expend on her.