Friday, August 24, 2007

Eleven year olds are not supposed to die.

My dear friend's 11 year old niece Jillian was killed in an accident last week. She was out on her bike, delivering her birthday invitations, when she was hit by a car. She was excited about having her own party this year, separate from her twin brother. It was an unfortunate accident - a country road, a blind corner, a carefree kid on a bike and a 17 year old classmate of Jilly's older brother who will never be able to forget that day. (No charges are being laid, the driver was absolutely not at fault).
She was airlifted to Sick Kids where everything possible was done, but it wasn't to be. Her family made the bravest and most heart-wrenching decision possible - to say goodbye, and let "Jilly Bean" help at least 6 other people through organ donation.
Hug your kids, hug your friends an extra time today, in honour of Jilly.

I'm off to make a donation to the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. They do the best possible work in the toughest situations.

6 comments:

Needles said...

That just breaks my heart.

Unknown said...

OMG - my heartfelt condolences to you, her family and friends.
I want to say more but it either sounds trite, obvious or insignificant. I know that you & they will support one another and find your way through each minute, hour & day.

Amanda is getting an extra hug!

Carol said...

Holy crap, that sucks! I am wordless. Plese accept and extend my condolences.

TracyKM said...

Oh man. I can't even begin to imagine the grief--for every one involved...the whole family; especially a twin brother! And that the driver was known to them and so young, that's sad too. Sick Kids is an amazing hospital, but it's just so sad and unfair when tragedy has to happen so that others can experience a new chance on life. Please pass on our condolences; there's not much that can be said at such a time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.
My heart goes out to all of them.
What a horrible, horrible tragedy.
Nancy

deirdre said...

Oh, how utterly devastating for everybody - I don't think there are words to adequately express sympathy for something like this, just thoughts and prayers...