Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Sally Melville!

Last night, the York Region Knitting Guild hosted Sally Melville. Can I tell you how excited we were? Talk about a room full of fans!
The afernoon started with Lucky coming to my house to pick me up, and look what she brought me! A hand sewn bag, using my absolute favourite Badanna fabric! I LOVE this! First, just because I love the fabric, and second because she MADE it for me. Only other sewers and knitters understand how cool it is to get something handmade. How many times have you heard "Oh, I can't make you anything - you can make it yourself".


And look at the inside! It's the cowgirl fabric. This bag is my new favourite small project knitting bag - a couple of socks, and still room for other things...
Lucky and I headed off to Needles and Knits to meet Sally, get everything set up for her talk, and go to dinner with the rest of the Guild executive, including Nancy, winner of the beaded necklace:
Nice choice of sweater, Nancy - it matched perfectly. I'm so glad she liked it. We had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant - a good choice, as it turned out to be Sally's favourite, and then back to the shop for her talk on using your yarn stash. Now, I have a design background from school - I've taken colour theory courses - but nothing I've done before made as much sense in relation to my knitting as what Sally discussed last night.
They ways she combines fibres, colours, textures... brilliant. And it makes so much SENSE! Add into it that Sally Melville is really a genuinely nice person, and fun to be around, it was just a great night.
All the Sally Melville designed garments were out in full force - Einstein coats, finished and in progress, ponchos, gauntlets, cardigans, and sweaters - all in a riot of colour. And me? I left my Melville vest at home (obviously with my brain) and wore my Amy Singer Tuscany Shawl. I guess the next time Amy comes, I'll have to wear my Sally vest.
And Stephanie? Sally says she didn't pull the fire alarm, but she'd like to thank whoever did...

LAST DAY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank all the Guild members for letting me into the fray last night. It was a lot of fun, and so much fun to reconnect with my York Region roots.

Glad you like the little bag! It was fun to sew. Can't have too many project stashing bags.

Saren Johnson said...

Someone pulled the fire alarm? Why?

Needles said...

That beaded necklace fits Nancy just perfectly. Hmm Sally Melville. Someone new to investigate and watch for.

I do a lot of stuff, but I am forever impressed by the sheer volume of creativity that knitting inpires. It really is like nothing else on the net.