Thursday, February 28, 2008

late winter funk...

I think Needles hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. (and thankfully, missed the proverbial thumb). I am in a funk. LuckyCanuck and I were discussing it. February has been remarkable depressing this year in the Toronto area. Cold, grey and snowy. Now, I like snow. I do. But when there's snow, I also want sunshine glinting off it. I don't like grey, dreary days. And I've had just about enough of them, thank you. Needles suggested going to find a conservatory or greenhouse, and smelling dirt. She said she didn't know if I was a garden sort or not, but again - she had perfect aim at that nail. I love to garden, and do as much as I can, both at my home and at our cottage. Each of these places have their challenges. I have lots of trees and hedges around my house, so I have become quite the successful shade gardener. The cottage, while sunny, is also left alone during much of the week, so hardier plants (or nice neighbours) are necessary. At home, we have one sunny section that is devoted to veggies - my son has claimed it as his garden and we plant his choice every year. This year, he is showing an early interest in cucumbers. (He's a pickle fan, so I can see some pickling happening in the fall...)
At the cottage, savoury type plants are not so good - too many animals that would take advantage of a tasty treat. The bunnies and deer wouldn't be so bad, but we have bears in the area, and I'd prefer they don't think of out place as an all you can eat buffet. I don plant herbs, but we keep them in pots, right outside the kitchen door for easy access.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty and replanning some of the gardens around the house this summer - maybe I should get some garden catalogues and see what's up and coming...
On the knitting front, I'm still K4ing, P1ing on the Safari Hoodie. Luckily, I still love the way this is looking, so it keeps me interested - however, I'm jonesing for some lace. I'm thinking the Hyrna Herborgar from Three Cornered and Long Shawls - I even have the authentic Icelandic laceweight wool for it...
Will I start it? Will I wait? Will I start a new craft that Lucky Canuck is teasing me with? Will I ever post pictures again?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will I ever post at all?

Philosophical Karen said...

It has indeed been a bad winter for grey days. I am dying for spring so I can get out into my garden too. Sometimes I'll buy myself a pot of tulips (or two) at this time of year, because I just can't wait.

Needles said...

Garden catalogues are a great idea. I'm thinking of some of those lovely African violets for my desk. I've always loved the purple, and there is a bright yellow at the store down the road that I'm probably going to take home with me before the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Get downtown and take in Canada Blooms at the Convention Centre next month. Get there as early in the show day as you can - the scent of soil and bulbs and leaves is spectacular - like a mini vacation!

Carol said...

Dull, dreary, cold and ucky. That sums up February. I am sooooo ready for spring!