Sunday, February 24, 2008

new slippers

At Christmas, I made some felted slippers using some Soy Wool Stripes from Patons that I had in the stash. This stuff not only felts, I discovered, but it really FELTS! and fast. The pair I made back then, using one ball per slipper felted down to a size too small for my 9 year old son. So this weekend, I decided to try again. 2 balls per slipper - a rectangle done on the machine, gather the toe, sew up the vamp and sew the back.(Yes I know my sewing up was mismatched. Once felted, this doesn't show...) These babies are huge! More than 24 inches long:
Once through the machine, and they cut down by more than half:
Yup! that's a mere 10 inches in length:
Problem. My feet are not 10 inches long. Please note - knitting purists may want to look away now.
Yes, I cut off the back. Had I thought it through before taking the scissors to them, I would have shaped the cut, creating a triangular piece to form the back, rather than hacking straight across. But patience is not my strong suit, so I just grabbed the scissors and cut away. at least I measured first...



They fit fine. They're just for me for kicking around the house, so I simply sewed up the back edge with some perle cotton from my bead knitting stuff, and voila! A new, thick pair of slippers.

Knowing how this stuff felts, I'm tempted to make the Fiber Trends felted clogs out of it, for a really nice pair of slippers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
I am hooked on the Fiber Trends Felted Clogs. The pattern is easy, and they turn out great every time. Give it a try.

A. Lurker

Needles said...

I have this pattern, but have not found the time. soon, soon.

Laughed at your solution to the conudrum, though, deed I did.

Carol said...

Now THAT'S how you show the knitting who's boss! The Fibre Trends clogsare REALLY nice. I knit up a pair for the MIL & FIL and the FIL absolutely loooooves them. Alas, MIL has foot pain issues that means she can't always bear to have socks on, never mind slippers. But she does like them for when she is sitting around with her feet up. Keeps 'em toasty she says.

Philosophical Karen said...

That is a good tip about the Soy Wool Stripes. I have been looking for good (and inexpensive) felting yarns.