Monday, February 11, 2008

odds and ends...

Knitting was slightly curtailed this weekend - not just because of the bunged up wrist (much better now, thank you - knitting has resumed, with caution...), but because a certain young man in my life was celebrating his 9th birthday. We couldn't decide on a cake, so we went with the cupcakes. Then we couldn't decide on an icing colour, so we went with all of them:

And then I found the best thing EVER for the cupcake baker:
A cupcake tree. (Thank you Bulk Barn! Man, they have lots of stuff in there... (they just opened one near my house)).

In order to rest the wrist, I did a little machine knitting:
hmmm... a plain rectangle, loosely knit, charcoal wool. And I have lots of similar wool in different colours. Maybe colours that would work for a kilim type bag? For those that know of Sally Melville's book - Styles, or for those that were at her talk at our Guild last week, you'll know she does something called Knitting as Warp, where she uses plain knitting as a basis for a weaving pattern. Well, you know me - I have the attention span of a gnat, so when something new and interesting shows itself to me, there's a pretty good chance I'm going to try it. Dying yarn with Kool-aid? Done it. Bead Knitting? Done it. Socks? yep. Lace? Yep. Crochet? yep. Short rows or other techniques? If it seems interesting, I'll give it a shot. So this knitting as warp? You bet. Stay tuned - the charcoal rectangle is blocking right now...

7 comments:

TracyKM said...

Glad to hear the thumb is better! I've been wondering what's happened to your knitting machine :)
I love Bulk Barn for all their non-food things too. Sometimes I'm so wrapped up in looking down at the food I forget to look up. Their prices are usually very good on that sort of stuff. Happy Birthday to the little man!

Anonymous said...

Happy 9th birthday!

I was so inspired by Sally too. I am dying to try that weaving technique on a tiny project to see if I'd like it. Sounds like it might even be fun for Erica. Let us know how it turns out.

Needles said...

I have one of those under my bed. Every once in a while I think about it, but but for years, I just blocked knitting from my thoughts. Now I can see a day where I would use it for plain backs and sleeves with fancier knitted fronts. But I'd have to relearn evertyhing about it first.

Trpohy knitting happened this weekend. Be on the lookout for deer.

Needles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The cupcake selection looks like a menage of variegated yarn, only cupcakes! I want to eat them..mmmmm.....

Carol said...

The cupcake tree is lovely. Glad to hear your wrist is feeling a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Cupcakes in cheerful, anti-winter colors. Perfect.