Tuesday, July 04, 2006

cottage knits

Well, we're back from the glorious north. I know, it was only three days, and we won't be up there for an extended period of time until our holidays in August, but still, three days is three days. Swimming with the kids (son and nephews), getting the garden in shape, re-connecting with the neighbours over drinks, all the stuff cottaging is supposed to be. Oh yeah, great food, and lots of knitting time!


Socks that Rock - Metamorphic colourway. I love this stuff. I am keeping these, even though there were some thinly veiled hints, and one outright request for them! For those interested, I do a toe up, short row toe, short row heel sock. Usually stockinette, usually ribbing around the top, but for women I've been starting to use a picot edge a la Claudia . I really like it. I sometimes branch out into a lace patterned leg. It's not that I don't like variety, it's just that sock knitting is my "go-to" knitting when I don't want to look at charts, count rows, or do anything but knit mindlessly. That's why I love great sock yarn - I let it do the work!


A ruffly (very ruffly!!) scarf in a mohair/silk blend - not Kidsilk haze, but virtually the same - just lower in price. It's produced by S.R. Kertzer, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of this stuff. I've used KSH, and this stuff is absolutely interchangeable. But I get three balls for the price of two KSH! This is my own design, but nothing that hasn't been done by a ton of knitters I'm sure. I cast on a bunch of stitches (about 80), using about a 5mm needle. I knit into the front and back of each stitch, then knit a few rows, then increased in every other stitch and knit a few rows, and did this a few more times. My plan is to have it about 3-4 inches deep from the cast on row to the cast off row. The number of stitches has increased to about a thousand (? - maybe more, I'm not that interested in counting them!)and I am knitting the final 3-4 rows (no increases) with 8mm needles . The plan is that the ruffles will fall about the neck, framing the face of the wearer. Let's hope it works! I should have this done this week - the joys of mindless garter stitch, even if it is in laceweight mohair...

Blogger seems to be limiting my pictures today - not that there was a whole lot else to see...

More tomorrow - I have my knitting Guild meeting tonight - I will ask them how they feel about being out on the 'net - I won't show anyone who doesn't want to be shown, nor will I mention the name of hte Guild unless they agree.
Hopefully they do agree - they're a fabulous bunch, and some of the best knitters I know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sandra,
thanks for telling us about your blog!
it has been added to my list.
i knew of course that you knit socks, but, holymoly, that's an impressive bunch.
good night!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Did I pick out that STR? I am gooooood. Love your cottagey area. Looks so peaceful. And love that hot pink scarf.