Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekend musings...

We had a small family get together this weekend - an Aunt of mine was in town, so my Mom had myself and my brother, our spouses and kids, some cousins and their kids and another aunt and uncle. Basically a gathering of some of my maternal side of the family. No pictures - that would contravene the whole "keeping the blog a secret" thing. Hubby was great about coming - my family can be a little off the wall, and when the Aunt in question keeps referring to him as "what's his name" in phone conversations, I can't blame him. (I guess 14 years of marriage don't count). Actually, it's really his lack of Francophone background that has her peeved. And not just my husband - of her 13 nieces and nephews, only 3 have married Francophones. What really gets her is that all three of her sisters that married (my Mom among them), ALSO married Anglos! Personally, I find this hilarious. She is so concerned about us "diluting" our French heritage (yes, she used this term to me), that she can't see how great these people are. I should also mention the score here - married Franophones? all three divorced. married anglos? 6 - all still married.
The get together was pretty good - thanks to my Mom, who did a wonderful job of keeping everyone fed and happy. She also made sure my aunt had a few sherries before we arrived, so her sharp edges were somewhat blunted. This is a good thing. It was great to connect with some of my cousins again - we don't keep in touch as much as we should, and that's a shame. We made all the promises about rectifying that, so we can only hope that we carry through with it.
I did pull out a sock in progress while I was there - all conversation ceased while everyone stared. Please people! I am quite capable of carrying on a conversation whilst knitting a sock! I had to explain that a few times. Then there was the inevitable question about "how I get the yarn to change colours like that", and having to explain self striping sock yarn. Of course my well-sherried aunt had to comment on how she knits as well, but she wouldn't dream of using wool like I was - "what a waste!" were her words - "no one can tell the difference between wool and "orlon" (as she calls acrylic). She showed me the bootie she was working on - in PHENTEX! and she compared it to the Socks that Rock that I was using. Ack! I didn't even want to TOUCH the phentex, let alone let it anywhere near my beloved STR! For the sake of family unity, I didn't get into it, but REALLY! I'll debate the relative merits of Fleece Artist vs. STR any time, but please don't ask me to compare merino to Phentex. Ever. I've made my share of fun fur scarves - I admit it. But now? Fibre Snob? You betcha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Phentex, major ICK! Clearly Auntie bought yarns in the 70s, to call them 'orlon'. My seniors' group has been given some yarns with labels saying "Sears 100% Orlon Acrylic" in color 'avocado green.' Obviously this yarn is plenty old enough to vote! See some further comments on acrylic and crocheters on Lucky's blog.

Glad your mom was savvy enough to provide Auntie with some sherry. And your restraint about the STR was masterful!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I am laughing too. Why knit socks in wool when you can use ORLON?! Why not? Athlete's Foot, here we come!

I also am tee heeing because my grandma always lamented that none of her seven children married an Italian. And how can you become Pope when you're NOT ITALIAN?