Friday, July 21, 2006

I've been outed as a stalker!

As posted on Stephanie's blog yesterday, I've arranged to have her back to the York Region Knitting Guild. Back, you say? Well, yes. She was kind enough to visit us last year - we kept it kinda secret so that she wouldn't be inundated with requests. For those wondering how I did it - well, persistence is a word that has been attributed to me - Stalking is another. Assume whatever you want...
Either way, I've got the goofy grin thing going - I've been linked by Stephanie! How cool is that? And she's coming to our Guild! And dinner! (oops! did I mention that? That part stays private. I can imagine knitters checking out restaurants all over Aurora on August 1st, looking for a large group of women, knitting between courses). Please don't try this - you really won't find us...
I'm a little concerned about the number of people coming. The room where we meet can handle a few, but if you are planning on coming, drop Jen an email at ripandjen@look.ca so we can prepare.

I've started another cotton golf sock - the 4th of July colourway.


This colourway is pooling differently than the licorice allsorts socks, where the pink kind of swirled around the sock. This one seems to be keeping the red and the blues separate - I like it so far.

Also, I had a question yesterday about the picot edge I used on my Fleece Artist socks, and how it is done. Since I get so few comments, I figured it would be rude not to answer!
When the sock is as long as I want it to be, I do a row of K2tog, YO, all the way around.
Then I knit a few more rows (the inside of the hem - I usually knit about 7 rows).
Then I bind off - I use a stretchy bind off, and usually go up at least one needle size - i.e. I knit the socks with a 2.25mm and bind off with a 3mm needle. The bind off I use is: K2tog, place this stitch back on the left needle, K2tog, place this stitch back on the left needle, and so on. It makes for a non-binding bind-off. There is also a sewn cast off that Wendy uses, but I have had no problem with the one I use, so I will keep going with it.
Finally, I sew the edge down, LOOSELY. This is the key - it has to be tight enough so the hem lies flat, but loose enough to have some give. It's really a case of trying it yourself and doing what works best for you.
(Is it obvious that I'm not a very good pattern writer?)This is too bad, since there are a lot of pattern ideas swirling around in my head. I'm going to have to do something about that...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna be outed as a stalker's friend!! Funky sock. You'll have many neighbours of the south asking where to get it.

Carol said...

maybe I'm just stupid, but if you sew donw the edge,how do you get the little loops to stick up?

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I like your pico edge idea do you do the last 7 rows with a 2mm needle to make the inside smaller than the outside so as the top does'nt flair out?