Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lace WIPS

Lace Wips - if someone googles and spells "whips" wrong, they will be sadly disappointed when they get here!

As much as I knit socks, I also love knitting lace - hence the Fiddlesticks Florence Scarf shown previously. Another Fiddlesticks project on the go is the Whisper Scarf, in cream Zephyr - delicious stuff!

The only change I have made to this project is the smaller-than-recommended needles - they recommend a 4mm or 4.5mm, I am using a 3.25mm. I wanted this to be more of a neck-warming scarf, rather than an open weave shoulder warmer. I do like the fabric as it's coming along.
Then there's this one...

don't get me wrong - I love the Leaf Lace shawl pattern from Fiber Trends, and green is my favourite colour - it's just, well, I should know better than to use varigated wool sometimes. I mean, it has its place, but the place is not this shawl. The yarn itself is quite nice - Knitpicks merino laceweight in the Leprechan colourway, but the varigations are just not doing it for me. I will probably finish this, and overdye it to tone down the colourway - Either that or I frog it and overdye the yarn itself - opinions? Of course I could finish it, and decide it's great as is. Who knows?

As is becoming painfully obvious, I start way more things than I finish. I do actually finish quite a few things - I try to give something hand knitted to everyone at Christmas. Most of the UFOs are things that are destined for me, so they seem to get pushed aside when I decide to make something for someone else. That's ok - I like giving hand knit stuff away, especially to those that appreciate it. Those that don't, well, they don't get much. My brother and SIL are good examples - they each have one pair of handknit socks. They both "couldn't believe I would waste my time - didn't I know you can buy perfectly good socks - probably better quality than these?" Yeah, thanks for that. Off the list. They now get gift certificates at Christmas. Then there's my Mom, MIL and FIL - they care for their hand knits. They wear them, wash them properly and wear them again and again. I love that! My MIL even darns the socks. Wow.
I'm starting to plan my Christmas knitting for this year (I have a BIG extended family and group of friends. I need to start early). Last year, the girls got felted Sophie bags with beaded handles a la Norma, and Elann baby cashmere scarves. The guys got merino neck warmers. Now, before you think I have tons of time, I also have a knitting machine - the neck warmers and scarves were EXTREMELY quick that way. This year, I'm thinking felted slippers for the girls - there are far fewer guys on the list, so socks may do it (gift certificates for the non-sockers). Does anyone have any ideas for a great gift that can be done over and over and won't break my bank?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the Leprechan is that bad at all!

Anonymous said...

like the Leprechan never know what will happen as the shawl gets larger and the colour play differently....keep going.