Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Weather and other ramblings

As Lucky Canuck has told you, we've had some interesting weather in the Toronto area lately. Monday evening, it was lovely, if a little hot. I got home from work early enough to walk over to the sitter's to pick up DS, and we had a nice few minutes walking home together as he told me all about his day. I love these times. He's 7, so I have a few more years befor the secretive teenage years start. I'm hoping he stays as open as he is, but I remember myself as a teen, and well, I can only hope. Then again, I'm keeping this blog a secret, so I guess I've never really outgrown it. Doesn't bode well for the boy. Where was I? Oh yeah, weather. So DS and I have a nice dinner out on the deck - Hubby was out. We watch Mythbusters, and he goes to sleep. I'm lying in bed, reading, and all of a sudden, our calm evening turns into wind, rain and lightning from hell. While Lucky lost power for the entire night, we only flickered - long enough to make me run around the house resetting all the clocks. (Why does every appliance I own need a clock?) I ended up sitting on the front porch (protected) watching the lightning show - it was amazing. But I am slightly worried about a couple of trees. We have a huge birch outside out living room and master bedroom windows. Birches are not known for their longevity or their resistance to wind, but so far so good. We also have a sugar maple near the driveway that doesn't seem to be doing so good. Only half of it has leaves, and that can't be a good sign. If it does go, my car will be the victim - the tree is right beside the driveway. I am calling an arborist to come and take a look. I fear they will tell us it has to come down. DId I mention that right below it is my favourite shade garden? Because the tree provides SHADE? Man, I'm going to have to replant...

Knitting? Ummmmm, yeah, I do some of that. No pictures, though. Do you really need to see an extra inch of another sock? Or the first few inches of Icarus? Or 2 inches of a hemp towel? You do? Well, you'll have to wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're calling in an arborist. Better safe than sorry. And you'd hate to find out the tree was rotten after it has smashed your car - or worse! I am just thinking of those folks up the street with the smashed house. Wringing their hands, getting into months-long arguments with their insurance company...

Anonymous said...

Remember your insurancer's conditions, if the tree falls and hits property, they pay, if the tree falls on the yard or a person, they don't. So if you think the tree's ability to stay upright is of concern do act on it. Cheers