Monday, July 17, 2006

Hot, hot heat...

Whew! That was one hot weekend! And today is no better - 35C (95F) with a humidex expected around 45C (113F). And here's how silly it is. I'm wearing a sleeveless linen blouse, and because our business owner seems to care nothing for the environment, I need a WOOL SHAWL in order to comfortably sit at my desk and work. At least I dodged the bullet on Friday, and I'm way too busy to get involved in anything today, so I'm hoping to stay invisible.
Enough ranting - on to the knitting! I finished the licorice allsorts socks:

Project specs - toe up - short row toe and heel. Elann Esprit Cotton/Elastic sock yarn. 52 stitches on 3mm needles. Knitted to just above the ankle, 3 rows of 1x1 ribbing. There was enough yarn left of each of the balls to make a calf high sock, easily. This is a much bigger needle than I usually use for socks (usually I use a 2 or 2.25mm), but this sock is much thicker. The elastic makes them very cushy, and I hope will be perfect for my golfer friend and her pink and black golf shoes!

I also started a couple of new things (What? What? You can't be surprised by this. Really now...) I had the hemp with me at the cottage, and started the Mason Dixon chevron tea towel in raspberry for my Mom. My Mom is the queen of all things pink. I also have some of the hemp in a soft seashell pink for her as well. I love this pattern - two rows in and the pattern is memorized - perfect beach knitting! It is looking a little loose, but I am hoping the hemp will bloom a bit, plus, once it softens that should make a difference. I know, I could have swatched and washed the swatch. But what fun is that? (I don't swatch well, if ever. Shoot me now).
I also started the Icarus shawl from the current Interweave Knits. I rarely make anything from this magazine lately, but this shawl is beautiful. My one SIL has been heavily hinting since last Christmas for a blue shawl. I seem to make one shawl for one SIL each year, and this SIL will treat it very well, so it's her turn. I'm loving the pattern, but won't be tempted to keep it, as I am using the same blue alpaca as my Fiddlesticks shawl. Since I already have one, I won't keep it. That is the reason I'm using the alpaca - otherwise, I'd want this for me!! No pictures - I'll try and get some soon, but lace before blocking just looks like used dental floss.
My other SIL gave me a great idea for Christmas gifts - throw cushions. Two of the girls are redecorating, so this might just work. Plus, I can whip them up on the machine when crunch time comes! Stay tuned for more on this...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the pictures of an Icarus just posted on the Elann chat center. Gorgeous! Done with a perle cotton in a sumptuous blue-green.

Do I need another WIM? Of course not, but now I have one.. LOL!

Sandra said...

That Icarus is beautiful! The alpaca I'm using is a blue with violet undertones - Knitpicks Shadow in Jewels. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I love those cute lil' socks! What a great gift. Your golf pal will love 'em.

And, er..I don't swatch either.