Thursday, July 20, 2006

FA FO* and AC**

*Fleece Artist Finished Object

I love this yarn. It knits up beautifully, very similar to Socks that Rock. The only issue I have with this is:

see the colour difference? I KNOW it's a handpainted yarn. I expect colour differences. But we're talking about the same skein here, not two different balls. One sock is significantly darker than the other. Significantly. To be honest, I bugs me a bit, but not enough to rip out or do anything else. These are headed to the Christmas box, designated for either my MIL or one of my SIL. It's my usual toe up, short row toe and heel - the only deviation from my regular brainless pattern is the picot edge top, rather than ribbing. I like this top and will use it again.

I think it's very pretty, and surprisingly, the sock doesn't sag. Yet. (I only wore them for as long as it took to take the picture at 6am this morning).
Yes, I am awake at 6am. Against my will and better judgement. I need coffee and newspaper time to myself in the morning, so I force myself to get up at 5:30 to get it before I wake up the boys in my life. By the time hubby is showered and ready for the day, Son is dressed and having breakfast and I am out the door. Hubby handles the morning drop off, I get the Boy in the afternoon - it's a good system.
**This morning it was easier to get out of bed - our AC crapped out last night. And Hubby is leaving this afternoon for a business trip for three days. The good news? I have to leave work early tomorrow to wait for the fix-it guy. The bad news? Yarn money will be spent on fixing my AC. But needs are needs - Icarus is knit in alpaca. Alpaca and heat do not get along. I've got to the point on Icarus where I really don't need the pattern - it is easily memorized.

Hopefully, I'll have cooler news for you tomorrow - i.e. air conditioned news...

4 comments:

Monika said...

Hi, how is your picot edge done?did you sew it down or knit it down? Has it enough "give"? I did it once and hardly could stretch it enough to slip into the sock. It's a pity about the color of the yarn.

Unknown said...

http://whatswanniettaknittingtoday.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_whatswanniettaknittingtoday_archive.html
This link tells about my similar story with FA & also links to Stephanie's story about her FA socks.
It didn't (and still doesn't) bother me - I really like knitting with her yarn, but it's not just you!

Anonymous said...

I love the picot edge on the sock. I have a problem with the "give" on socks too. Luckily my daughter doesn't care if the socks sag.
Thanks for your persistence in getting the Yarn Harlot to southern Ontario - especially to Aurora, which is not very far from me!! The sock and I will see you there!!

peaknits said...

I really like the picot-like edge on the socks - something a little more interesting 2 x 2 rib - thanks for the inspiration!