Monday, March 31, 2008

I. need. colour.

Everything I'm working on is bland. The hoodie (yes, I still love it, and I pretty much knit exclusively on it) is BEIGE.
The Hyrna Herborgar shawl (stalled though it may be, it's still within my sightlines) is BEIGE.
The socks I keep in my bag for lunch time knitting are COFFEE BEAN (just a darker BEIGE).

I NEED SOME COLOUR! And I think some might be coming into my life - Lucky Canuck and I are doing a little swap of things I can get for things she can get. I am ending up with some Socks That Rock Silkie! Woo Hoo! Colour. Now I just have to be good, and not wind it into balls, otherwise I will abandon the Hoodie and start something new.

I do get to play with some colour at our Guild meeting however. I am demonstrating the Turkish cast on for toe up socks. and I have some wonderful Collinette Jitterbug to use as a demo. Hopefully that will satisfy my need.

So, Earth Hour on Saturday. Who participated? I'm quite glad to say that we as a family did. We switched off the lights, and the three of us dined by candlelight. Afterwards we went for a walk around the neighbourhood (as did a lot of people, it seemed!) We noticed quite a few homes lit only by candles, or completely dark (should we wonder what they were doing for entertainment?). But we also noticed a fair number of homes pretty lit up. Some were funny - candles on the inside, outside lights just a blazing. Or lights off, but the tell tale blue glow of a TV set. I guess if you want to get picky - it was about turning off LIGHTS. I'm not sure it mentioned anything about TV sets, but come on - if you're going to do this, you turn off everything. I have to say, we stopped short of unplugging all appliances that had digital clocks - resetting those would have been a huge pain. But my son enjoyed it (the highlight being watching us s-l-o-w-l-y walk down the driveway so as not to set off our outside motion lights. We all succeeded.)
So is Earth Hour a gimmick? SUre it is. But if it raises some awareness, then it's a good gimmick. I'm trying very hard to teach both my boys (the 9 year old and the 49 year old) to turn off things when not in use. Both of them have a tendancy to leave a TV on in a room when they leave. Drives me nuts. But they're getting better. And maybe others are too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

David Suzuki said Hockey Night in Canada was exempt from Earth Hour. So we watched it in the dark. I did go around turning off power bars for the computer and router and a couple of other things though.

Philosophical Karen said...

We participated. We turned off all electronics and lights and went for a walk to the local Tim Hortons (about a mile away). The neighbourhood houses seemed dark, but all the street lights were still on. The Hortons had actually turned down some of their lights, so that was good.

Linda said...

I remembered a little late but we did it for about 30 minutes. Noone else in my neighborhood turned their lights off. I may try to drum up some interest next year. Even DH, who has a vision problem in good lighting got into the spirit. He did forbid me to unplug the oven but most everything else was unplugged.

Carol said...

the hubster has a problem remembering to turn off the bathroom light. Although he remembered for earth hour. So maybe he's pulling my chain?

Anonymous said...

I turned off my lights but being a fourplex, I had to leave on the outside motion lights for the tenants. I participated in fear of reprisal if I did NOT do it. Our whole 'hood was dark. And I must say, 4 tealights in a dish were bright enough to enable me to put away my laundry and read a magazine.