Monday, March 10, 2008

transitions

I love a good lace pattern. And Hyrna Herborgar is a good one. It's lacy and fun to do - not so complicated that you are using every Post-it note in the house, and ignoring family just to do a row, yet interesting enough to keep you going. I especially love a pattern that transitions from one lace pattern to the next in a coherent way. In the picture above, you can see how the vertical rows transition to the snowflake-y type pattern. Simple, but I love it.
There have been a bunch of transitions lately - not all knitting. I've transitioned into a new job, and it's going well. I'm getting past the "newness" and have stopped having to ask millions of questions - I'm getting it. I've also transitioned from being the one my parents looked after to the one doing the looking after. My Mom is still independent - living in her own house, and living a full life - friends, classes, travel and all that, but recently, it has changed a bit. She's still independent, but we are taking a larger part in some decisions. It's really in anticipation of the future - so that if anything happens, what we do is dictated by what she wants. It's not easy to do, but she feels better knowing all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted.
My son is transitioning as well - not so much a kid anymore, more of a young man, responsible for his own decisions in some cases. I'm not sure I'm ready for this - I really want a few more years of a little boy, but I can see the end of that coming. He still hugs and kisses me, so that's good, but how much longer will that go on?
Now, if only the weather would transition - I'm ready for Spring, yet Mother Nature insists on keeping winter around for a while longer. When I have to shovel snow and pile it higher than my head, I can only dream of sunny days at the cottage. Yesterday, while sunny, was spent digging out from under another dump of snow. In the immortal words of Queen Victoria, "We are not amused".

3 comments:

Needles said...

Sandra, the lace is looking great.

Transitions indeed.

Carol said...

We are not amused, INDEED! I concur.

Glad to hear the new job is going well. It's a good thing to start planning for the future with you rmom. That will make it easier for everyone.

Have you found your car yet? i had a very nice neighbour come ove with his snowblower. Yay!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful!