Sunday, March 23, 2008

out of the archives...

Well, actually, out of the depths of my knitting bag. I have tossed aside Hyrna Herborgar (with 3 friggin' rows to go...) until I sort out what to do. Thanks for all the suggestions, however, I really don't want to just end it without finishing the pattern. I thought of a contrasting colour, and that doesn't appeal to me either. I talked to Tove, and she can put me in touch with a friend in Iceland - I can get more of it by contacting them and having it mailed to me, or I can wait until August when her friend is coming from Iceland to her daughter's wedding. I think I have it mailed. This one last ball will probably cost me 3 times as much as the whole bloody thing, but it's worth it. I'm going to post a plea on Ravelry as well, so we'll see what happens. My husband's comment was "It's not like you don't have enough projects to keep you going until August...".

But I digress. I did finish something this weekend, something that has languished at the bottom of the bag for far too long. May I present the long suffering River Rock scarf?
Photographed atop the 3 FEET of snow at the cottage...

We spent Easter weekend up north - thankfully husband had the forethought to call the local guy to have our driveway plowed. Unfortunately, that meant the local guy left us a snowbank of about 10 FEET high at the base of the driveway that we had to get around in order to get to the door of the cottage. Which of course was behind the 3 feet of snow on the deck that we had to get rid of in order to open said door and get inside. And yes, this was at 10:30 pm on Thursday night. But we did it - we got in, got the fire lit, the heat turned on, the water going, and all that, and I'm so glad we did, because it was a glorious weekend! Blue sky all three days, great daytime temperatures that allowed us to be outside for most of the days. We walked across the lake. We walked in the back bush. We had dinner with the neighbours. We drank far too much wine, and played cards. I knit - finishing up said scarf, and making a big dent in the hoodie, as well as turning a heel on a sock, and starting twoothers - getting toes done, so I have lots of mindless stockinette ahead of me. Perfect.

It really was a perfect weekend, except it has too short, and to be honest, as much as the snow was lovely, it was too snowy. I can't believe we are only 2 months away from the May long weekend, and if you look at this view, you won't believe it either.


I'm standing in the middle of the lake looking back. There are approximately 20 inches of ice beneath my feet...

3 comments:

Carol said...

I would probably have the yarn mailed to me too. Hubby's just don't get it....

TracyKM said...

Looks just like how we spent our weekend too, except parents live there so no emergancy plowing needed :) Went out on our 'lake' too, LOL.

Needles said...

It looks lovely and awful all at once. We are down to the ususal prairie spring of late. Cold but clear so the snow melts slowly, but it never really makes it to spring feeling weather till late May.

I love the way the scarf turned out.