Tuesday, March 04, 2008

hmmm... what to talk about...

I realized that in the last little while, I have become boring. What with everything going on in my life (most, but not all of which I have shared here), there really hasn't been a lot of time to DO anything. Working (and starting a new job, with all the inherent extras that go along with that), maintaining the household (because it seems to fall mostly to me) and taking care of extended family have pretty much filled my hours. Add to that the fact that my knitting is fairly boring - (taupe sweater, ecru shawl, (just different ways of saying beige), and plain stockinette socks. Ho hum. At least I am getting to knit every day. One of the ladies at my Guild mentioned it as a sort of resolution. Not an actual resolution, but just that she wanted to knit a little bit each day. She enjoys knitting, and it brings her peace, so why not make the time for it? I whole-heartedly agree with her, and I have tried to do this myself. I'm somewhat lucky, in that I have time during my lunch break to knit, (I eat my lunch fairly late in the day, so I usually have the cafeteria almost to myself.) and I always have a project nearby in the kitchen/family room at home where we hang out most of the time, so I can always get a few rows in while watching TV or chatting with family. Same with weekends - because I leave my knitting out, it's always available to be picked up for a stitch or two.
But somehow, lately, it doesn't feel like enough. I think I've tried to do too much in the amount of hours available to me, and its taking a toll. I don't feel like I've accomplished much, yet I know I'm knitting each day, so obviously I'm making progress. What will probably happen is that I'll finish 3 pairs of socks, a sweater and a shawl all within a week. Then I'll attack the UFOs and get those done. Yeah, right. I know me. I'll get distracted by something - you just wait and see...

2 comments:

Carol said...

Life tends to go like that...insanely busy and then whump! Quiet descends. And with it, some time to knit. It will come. Especially once you are settled into your new work environment.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, as you know. I truly believe it's related to the winter blues. But as Carol said, life and its many days, go up and down.

But I shrank stuff last night, so it cheered me immensely.