Sunday, March 02, 2008

the beige period

Picasso had his Blue period, I seem to be having a Beige Period:


That would be the Safari hoodie in a lovely shade of beige, as well as the beginning of Hyrna Herbogar in a slightly lighter shade of beige.
Although it seems to be the contrary, I do love colour - I love it, I wear it, I knit it - I've just been caught in a beige thing.
Especially with the Hyrna Herbogar. At least the Safari Hoodie will have a place in my wardrobe - the fit is great, and so far I am thrilled with it. But the shawl? This is all about authenticity. I adore the pattern. The yarn? Well, it is authentic Icelandic laceweight singles. Very authentic - my LYS owner brought it back from Iceland. It's also scratchy as all get out. Seriously, wearing this will be like wearing a potscrubber on your shoulders. But, and now here's the weird part, I love it. Sometimes, you just want to be authentic. I've seen this made up, and even after a wash and block, it remains scratchy, but it is lovely. I plan to wear it over a sweater anyway.
So my beige period consists of a mindless in-the-round project for TV watching and conversation holding, and another charted project for those times when I can concentrate. I think I'm good.

And, Rachel H? I checked the TSO schedule for June. And laughed. And laughed again. And printed it out to show the husband (who is more into Star Trek than I am). I think we might just be going...

(for those that don't know - the Toronto Symphony Orchestra is being hosted by John de Lancie ("Q") and Robert Picardo ("The Doctor" from Voyager) for one night of Star Trek themed orchestral music. Culture and Star Trek in one shot - excellent...)

3 comments:

Carol said...

My hsuband likes things that connect to the past as well. He wants all his socks to be knit in the pattern from WWII, for example.

TracyKM said...

I really don't think two items in the same colour constitutes a 'period' :) And the shawl is much more cream. Snow after a few days. LOL. I can't wait to see more of it. The shawl, not the snow.

Needles said...

Are you sure it is grammatically correct to use 'Star Trek' and 'culture' in the same sentence?