Tuesday, March 11, 2008

attention...

Yesterday, I talked of the love I have for the lace patterning of the Hyrna Herborgar. Now, I still love it - it's a great pattern. It's even better when the knitter pays ATTENTION. Charts are there for a reason, and even though the lace pattern flows so nicely all the way along the row, one must remember that triangular shawls are shaped by cleverly placed increases - along the side and down the middle. So, even if the stitch count of the lace pattern fits across the row, through the middle, if one had bothered to PAY ATTENTION to the chart, one would have noticed the increases down the middle! Crap. 18 rows, shot to hell. The bonus to using the pot scrubber like Icelandic singles is the stickiness of the yarn. Here she is, no needles, nothing holding those end stitches:

Yeah, I ripped back to the row right where the vertical lines met in a lovely little point. I didn't use a lifeline, since the wool is so sticky, and I just ripped back (quite violently, I might add) until just before the row I wanted to recover. Then I took a smaller needle, and as I ripped out the row before I wanted to recover, I did it one stitch at a time, reloading it onto the needle. No pain. (Except whenever I think of my own stupidity.)

It's now back to where I was (with a double line of increases down the middle, like it's supposed to have, but I feel like I wasted a whole weekend of prime knitting time. Nothing else was worked on while I did this. I know I'm really more of a process knitter, but you know, sometimes, you just want to see some end product. I could have finished a sock or two, or at least made noticeable progress on the hoodie, but nooooo. I'm right back where I was - row 84 of the shawl.



Crap.

4 comments:

Needles said...

I so hear what you're saying. It must be the not quiite spring in the air.

Or maybe its that the not quite spring isn't in the air and all we are breathing is winters last stale gasp?

Carol said...

Oooh, that's gotta hurt. But it looks pretty. Is that any consolation?

Anonymous said...

Hi--I recently discovered hi-liter tape at Scholar's Choice. It comes in bright colours, and like a roll of Scotch tape. If you put your chart in a plastic page, you can hi-lite the row you've done but you can still see it through the tape. Then you can move the tape up a row as you proceed with the pattern. It has helped me keep track of where I am in the pattern
quickly and easily. The lace is lovely.!!
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

Anonymous said...

I always say that ripping back and redoing it somehow doesn't seem to take as long as you think it will. It's like version 2 makes you so ornery, you just knit like hell and it's done!