Tuesday, March 25, 2008

back to the grind...

Long weekends are great, except when they end. And I had an extra long one, as I took last Thursday off to go on a field trip with my son's class. We went to a conservation area to learn about the making of maple syrup. Yummy stuff. Son and I had a great time, and when we got back to school, instead of going back to the classroom for the last 40 minutes of the school day, I told the teacher we were leaving! We got all the groceries done, got to the butcher to get our turkey, and had everything packed by the time my husband got home, so we were off to the cottage in fairly good time.

I've already told you what we faced when we got there, and how nice the weekend was, but it was hard on Monday morning to get going. Four days of wearing sweats does not make me look favourably upon my heels again. But one does what one has to do to earn yarn money...

I mentioned that I finished the River Rock beaded scarf. I forgot to tell you the specs:

River Rock Scarf from No Sheep For You by Amy Singer.

I'm not sure who designed the pattern - I don't have the book handy.

Great pattern - not that I followed it exactly. I decided to place the beaded "rocks" wherever I wanted. I put them quite heavily at both edges, and less through the middle of the scarf, figuring that the beads would be noticed more at the scarf ends. It worked out very nice, I think. The only problem, is that if you flip this scarf over your shoulder, you could take out someones eye - it's that heavy at the ends! But beautiful, so it all evens out.

I used two skeins of Shelridge Farms Handpainted sock yarn in a black, white and grey colourway, and clear glass beads lined in silver that I bought at Michaels. Just enough sparkle.

This is probably going in the gift box - I'm thinking one particular sister in law would love this.

It felt great to get a UFO off my back and out of my bag. I may do more of this... But my first goal (once I hide the Hyrna Herborgar away until I get more wool), is to concentrate on the Wool/Silk Hoodie. I would love to have this done si I can wear it at the Knitters Frolic in late April, and I think that's an achievable goal. So I'm going on record as wanting to finish this for that date. Declaring it publicly may be what I need to concentrate on it. Or not...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your snow up north = our snow up north. Insanity!

LOOOOOVE the scarf. I really must finish my version. I don't have that far to go, yet I'm in such a creativity rut these days. It's like a paralysis.

Anonymous said...

Can I be an honorary SIL???
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I have some carefully hoarded Shelridge Farms sock yarn; they do nice work. Your scarf has a nicely balanced out colorway.

Carol said...

I always hate trying to get back into a routine after a nice relaxing break. I actively resent it. Poor hubby.....