Friday, December 21, 2007

Not exactly traditional...

Sorry I missed you yesterday - I had to attend a funeral in the morning, then there was some catch up to play at work. Not the best of days, but we are through it, and are looking forward.

I know I said I wouldn't touch my Selbuvotter book until after the holidays, since I had so much to do. Yeah, well, it's me we're talking about, remember? (no, my hands are not this pink! I had to do some colour correcting to get the colour of the Shelridge yarn close to reality.)

I only have about an inch left on my son's socks, so they should be finished up soon, so I decided to treat myself to some colourwork. Traditional Selbuvotter mittens are black (or dark brown) and white (or cream). Nothing against tradition, but I wanted a little pizzazz. Hence the handpainted green blend from Shelridge, in place of the white. (The black is SISU - the best plain superwash sock yarn around - comes in every colour you need.)

I love how the green colour changes are broken up by the starkness of the black. I can see many more of these in my future, especially now, that knitting time for the next little while is dedicated mostly to me! Gifts are done, and (mostly) wrapped. I wish I had taken a picture of my dining room table with 35 little bags all lined up, holes punched,, ribbon looped through, a bracelet in each one. So far - three given, and all three warmly received. Warms the cockles of a knitter's heart...

And a note to Deirdre - you made me laugh out loud! thanks for the comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Must knit me some mitts! That is NICE.