Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Damn youngsters...

Not the 8 years olds that hang out at my house - them, I love.

I'm talking about some of the "youngsters" I work with. You know, the ones, who found out I was turning 45 and say things like "That's how old my Mom is!" Shut up. But the winner is "How stupid can I sound" Sweepstakes is one of our designers. When I came in the other day wearing my Lopi Sweater (Sigridur from the Best of Lopi book) she commented how nice it was, and asked if my GRANDMOTHER knit it for me.
Now, I don't know if my Grandmothers ever knit - my maternal GM died before I was born, and my Nanny died when I was 6. I remember certain things about her - her love of wrestling (the real stuff from the 60's and 70's - think Gorgeous George and Killer Kowalski at the Montreal Forum), her homemade maple spread, and her Scottish accent, but I don't know if she knit. (I'll have to ask.)
I was willing to leave it at "No, I knit it myself", but she kept pressing - did my Grandmother teach me how to do it? (I'm actually mostly self taught, with a little guidance from Mrs. Soucie (a neighbour and friend)). I explained that I didn't have my Grandmothers any more, and besides, people other than Grannies knit. She looked at me in disbelief, and asked "Why? You can get a great sweater at Old Navy!"
I agreed, but she couldn't get THIS sweater at Old Navy. And before she could open her mouth again, I said "No, I will not make you one. Ever." She stopped, because, yes, that is exactly what she was going to ask.

Damn youngsters...

5 comments:

TracyKM said...

Good Grief.
I thought my 9 year old neice was a bit much when she asked for her own Flower Basket shawl, but I guess I deserve it because I have made her things in the past. Maybe you could tell this lady that she should find her own grandmother (or rent one) and get her to make a sweater.

Anonymous said...

Good lord, tell me she isn't related to the "You knit? How sweet!" bimbette. Which would at least explain her idiot comments to some degree as part of faulty genetic make up. But it sounds like it's just a case of the Rampant Ignoramus disease going through the joint.

Carol said...

Let me get this straight...she kept pushing ont he "grandma knit" thing, said you can get perfectly good sweaters at Old Navy..she was going to ask you to knit her one? Should have told her to go buy an Old Navy sweater, if they are so wonderful. Jeez.....

deirdre said...

Hard to imagine - just the utter audacity of some young'uns...

you handled her well, though - did you grandmother teach you how to do that?

Janis said...

Why is it always the older-than-kids people who make such a big deal about knitting?

In college, I knit one of my friends a hat, and she gratefully accepted it. Later, when I went to visit her house, she introduced me to her mom as "Janis, who made that hat" and her mom proceeded to grill me about HOW I made the hat, because she didn't believe I could knit.

She finally asked if my grandmother had made it for me. Cause, yeah, living in a DORM gives me ready access to my grandmother who is clearly willing to churn out hats for nameless faceless friends of mine. Sheesh.