Friday, December 07, 2007

Comment Q and A

I don't get that many questions or comments, so when I do, I like to answer them.

My Aurora lurker asked:

"Where do you get your thread? I started with a kit from earthfaire, but would like to buy locally if I could. "

I also started with earthfaire (they are responsible for setting me off on this path...) Now I buy my beads wherever I find them - Michael's usually, but I have been know to find some in Wal-Mart. Threads are another issue - I havent yet been able ot find good threads at either of these places. There are bead stores near me, but their hours and mine never seem to mesh. (They are often closed on Sundays, which seems to be the easiest day for me to get out.)

However, I need to get to one soon, because I want to stock up on some silk threads. Right now I usually use Cotton Perle #8, which works just fine. I had a stash of this (I have NO IDEA why), but I have also bought some at a yarn store near me. However, they are discontinuing it, and have very little left. Any place that sells embroidery supplies should be able to help.

And even though you didn't ask, someone at my Guild did - needles may be tougher to find locally. I'm very lucky - my husband owns a manufacturing business, and works with a lot of stainless steel. He even has it in lengths of 1.0mm and 1.5mm rods. Cut down to size, sharpened at one end and beads glued on to the other - voila! bead knitting needles. He's so pleased with them, he got a little annoyed when he saw my sock needles. "You bought thouse? Why? I can make them!" Yes dear you can. And don't worry - you will be...

Tracy mentioned that she's baffled by the beaded necklaces. No worries, a lot of people are, especially when I say they are knitted. Even knitters looke at them and can't really see the "knitting" part. But they are. Really. And easy. Really. If they interest you go to Brenda Franklin's site and get one of her patterns or kits. The instructions are really well written, and if you follow them, you will be amazed. Really. I was. I never thought I'd be making these. And look at me now!

3 comments:

Needles said...

You're driving me to to do this. I've never gotten over the edging on those handwarmers all beaded beautifully as they are.

You don't spin do you? Cause I'm sunk then.

OK serious time. I was already scoping beads at Micheals, but I realized I had some questions first. This yarn is about sock weight. I found the the bead I think would work, silver lined clear glass, but only in a seed bead size. I think the only way I can get these onto the scarf will be to apply them later. On a finer yarn, I'd go with the crochet hook method, I think, but on this heavy stuff, do I have a choice?

There were also little flat silver leaf shapes that would look really really nice off the edge of the wristwarmer toppers... I didn't buy any yet (though I do have a bead stash - don't ask - shaking head at self) and I am already totally disgusted with myself.

Needles said...

Just so you know, I am stopping to pick up some kind of beads, or leaf shapes, or something at Micheals. I know exactly the beads you mean, but they didn't have any. I'll find something, but what it is going to get down to is what weight yarn will the overcuff be.

You enabler you. (Thank you - again!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandra. I too have some Cotton Perle, but was hoping you had a source for some nice silk thread. If I find some locally, I'll post it in your comments section.
Keep posting pictures - I love to see your creations.

Aurora lurker.