Monday, December 10, 2007

Averted

I love my boy. I would, as most parents would, do anything for him. But how do I handle this? He's wearing his alien hat that we designed together and I knit last year. He loves it. A friend commented on it, and my Son turns and says to friend "What do you want on a hat? My Mom can knit ANYTHING".

At first, I puffed with pride - not only does my son love my knitting, he's PROUD of me! I'm not an embarrassment (yet) to him! How cool is that?

Wait... if he keeps this up, I could end up knitting a menagerie of hats for the entire third grade. No! My knitting time is precious, and while I can be a bitch towards co-workers and sundry other adults about selfish knitting, how can I disappoint 8 year olds? I've got to head this off... Damn! he wore his Spider sweater to school! How many of them saw it, and how many did he offer that I would knit for them? What if the girls requested princess sweaters?? Oh Man! that's INTARSIA! I can't do it, I have no time! I'm too selfish!

Wait! What did the friend say?


"No thanks. My gramma knits me hats. They itch, but I'm not allowed to tell her".



Charging the camera batteries - pictures to come...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that - "I'm not allowed to tell her". Happens here too, not allowed to tell her I hate the socks (which I now get to wear - yay).

Unknown said...

I told my kids when this started happening that I knit for them out of love and everyone else has to pay. "But it's _____! She/he's my friend." "But I don't love them." I have yet to have one of their parents follow up and through.
I love that Amanda (an Kyle to a lesser extent now) brags about me, but you're right - no time!

Saren Johnson said...

How funny. My eldest would do the same thing. I'd just smile and say, I'm more then happy to teach you.

Carol said...

Out of the mouths of babes....

TracyKM said...

LOL!
Luckily my son doesn't like knitted things (except his hat). My 9 year old neice wants me to make a Flower Basket Shawl; I DON'T think so! I don't get many requests. And if I do, I try to do it on the machines, LOL.