Friday, December 28, 2007

just because...

... it's pretty. The ice crystals forming on our cedar hedge were just stunning - on the 26th, the whole street had been dusted by frost and the trees were all glistening. Lovely.

Oh, were you coming here for the contest results? Did I distract you with the icy cedar? Sorry about that.

For those keeping count: there were 35 bracelets knitted and given away (this was easy, as I had mentioned it in a prior post) There were actually more bracelets knitted, but they didn't get given away, so I'm not counting them.

there were 29 other knitted gifts - lace scarves, socks, a couple of beaded chokers, handwarmers galore and assorted other things.

that totals out to 64 total knitted gifts. I know - I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that number. I've got to start knitting less or culling the list a bit.

which makes the winner:
Katrynka!

Katrynka, email me at curlerchikATyahooDOTca and give me your mailing address, and I'll send off the Wellington Fibres skein.

Christine was actually closest at 65, but I did say without going over... I feel bad about that, so I'm going to send another Wellington Fibres skein to Christine - email me your mailing address.

I know Jennifer is going to want to know how some of the gifts were received - and I have to say, it was positive all around! (I'm so pleased!) The bracelets were particularly well received, and my notoriously hard-to-gift niece saw the one I made my Mom, and shyly asked if I could make her one as well. She even offered to pay for the beads! She's growing up. (And yes, she's getting a bracelet, and no, I'm not taking any money from her.)



Hubby loved his alpaca hat and handwarmers, and most importantly, my son LOVED his socks. These are the first socks I've made for him that he likes. He even put them on right away. THe chokers were a huge hit, as were the socks (some new recipients of knitted socks this year, and they were happy to be added to the list. My 27 year old nephew was wearing his socks that I made him 2 years ago, and hinted rather broadly that he would take more. He loved his legwarmers (he's a dancer) and the slippers, and had all of them on! He stays high on the list.

The only issue was one SIL who loved her lace leaf cravat scarf, but REALLY loved the beaded chokers that other SILs got. There was an aside remark about the difference, until it was pointed out to her (not by me) that she got a lace shawl last year. (Yes Jen, THAT Sister in law...)

But everyone seemed very happy with the results - I love it when something I give of my heart is so well received.

Now I'm off on a hunt for next years gift - I'm not sure I can do the bracelets again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice to see your good news stories about the receipt of the knitted gifts. Though I do love to read peoples' anecdotes about the gifts that were badly/with poor manners/sneeringly received as well. Like a bad wreck, you can't look away.

Saren Johnson said...

64 is a good total.

Do you think she'll start wearing the lace shawl now that others have one?

Anonymous said...

THAT sister in law should be lucky she gets anything handmade after last year's total lack of manners. Maybe if she continues to redeem herself by showing gratitude you can put her back on the list for a choker in a couple of years. Thanks for including me in your blog - you know exactly what I am thinking!

I am so grateful you showed me how to knit the bracelets. Mine were very well received by all the women in my extended family and friends.

Happy New Year to you and yours and I'll see you at the Guild meeting.