Thursday, December 06, 2007

knitting done and to do

Some beaded knitting is done and in progress:
This is a looped knitted choker for a SIL. The pattern is from Brenda Franklin's first book, and contrary to how it looks - it's very easy to do, and quite quick!

upclose, I hope you can see the beads - they are a bronzy colour, and i used champagne coloured perle cotton. The cotton shows a little - if I made this again, I'd search out silk thread in a colour that matches the beads a bit better, but I'm happy with this, and SIL will be too.
Another SIL likes a little more colour, so she is getting the bugle bead choker using some multicolour seed and bugle beads I had hanging around. (Knit from stash! I love it!)

I got to do a little knitting on our vacation. The toe of the first sock was done before we left, and I got the foot knitted while sitting at the airport from 4:30am to 6:00am when we boarded - the heel and leg were knitted on the plane from Toronto to Orlando, and the ribbing is the sum of 4 nights of knitting at Disney World. (an indication of just how tired I was!) The second sock toe was cast on and done at my Mom's, and the I got to the heel at her place and on the plane. Not as much knitting time, as I spent a lot of time cajoling Son into doing his homework that he was studiously ignoring. (Yarn is Austermann Step with aloe and jojoba - picked from the stash by Son himself).
I also got most of another handwarmer done - just need a thumb and another for the pair - destined for a Christmas gift for one niece or another. Fleece Artist Kid/silk blend, also from stash.

I took stock of what I have done, and what I have left to do, and surprisingly, I'm not in bad shape. I got a lot of holiday knitting done ahead of time, I guess. I thought I had more to do, but I have severely cut back this year - it was getting ridiculous. The kids (nieces and and nephews) were getting a little presumptuous with their requests - there's no way I'm buying my 13 year old nephew a laptop - nice try. and the girls! Very specific in their demands. And you know what? That's what they are - demands. No more nice little lists, once they hit the teen years. So each is getting one gift, and one gift card. The girls are getting something handknit (hand warmers, maybe a bracelet), and the guys - something small they want (I've been told posters of "hot girls" will work. Now I have to find out if he wants Jessica Alba hot, or Jessica Simpson hot. I'm hoping for Alba.) And then it's I-tunes gift cards for all!

So once I finish the above, I have one more (maybe two) pairs of handwarmers, and some bracelets to finish. (and these already have the beads strung). I think I can do this. I hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
Your Aurora lurker here! I just love your beaded creations. Where do you get your thread? I started with a kit from earthfaire, but would like to buy locally if I could.
Good for you to be in such good shape for Christmas. I'm waaaaaaay behind!!

Needles said...

Interesting comments on demands instead of gifts. I actually had the pleasure of giving to someone I've known online for several years. She doesn't expect it, and it wouldn't occur to her to ask, to make a list even. That giving gave me more pleasure than anything I have given in years.

Gifting sometimes gets where it feels you have to, or you have to meet a certain standard. That is such a shame.

deirdre said...

I love your beadwork - you are making me feel like I want to try some, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing -

and I'm with you about teenagers - my nieces are very polite with their 'requests', but I think gift certificates are ultimately the way to go...

TracyKM said...

Those beaded necklaces baffle me. THey're very pretty, but I have no clue how they're done!
I think I have the exact same colourway of Step sitting on my kitchen counter right now! My husband actually wore a pair of MY handknit socks the other day (stretched them out bad), and said he liked them! Finally, I've only been trying for 8+ years to convert him :)