Thursday, December 27, 2007

back to reality...

Well, that was wayyyyy too short! (I'm back at work - if it's not required by law, they don't give us the time off, and they frown on anyone taking this time of year off. No, I don't understand it either...)


Christmas chez Curlerchik was wonderful - everything I could want. We spent Christmas Eve with good friends, eating fondue, talking non stop and watching kids and dog run around. The next morning was just me, Hubby and Son - just the way we like it. Hubby went against our "no big gift rule" and presented me with this:

He knew I was rekindling my interest in sewing, and that my old machine was hurting, so he bought me the cream of the crop - a computerized machine that does everything I need it to do, and then some.

I also blew the no big thing by getting him Guitar Hero III, but that wasn't nearly as big. It's just a lot more family fun! I suck at it, by the way. I see lots of practice in my future before we take on the rest of the family. However, we more than made up for the discrepancy by going out and getting the 42" flat screen TV that Hubby has been coveting. We're a happy family. Son did pretty good - Santa cleared off a lot of his list, and then some. What impressed me the most was Son's selflessness when it came to the gifts. He was as interested in what we were unwrapping, and he opened things one at a time, and appreciated them, and thanked us.

After breakfast - off to my brother's place for more family and friends, and more Guitar Hero! Watching my husband and my brother competing on "Barracuda" was priceless. Especially since right after, my 14 year old niece blew them both out of the water.

The final stop of the day was the in-laws for another family of 17 gathering, and dinner. Once we ate and cleaned up, we all pretty much headed home - the energy levels were flagging all around.

Today, Hubby and Son are at home - I'm hoping son gets some thank you's written, and dinner will be waiting for me. Tomorrow, both Hubby and I are working, so some semblance of reality will return. I did get some knitting done - the Selbu mitts are coming along nicely:

I'm still loving this colour mix. I also worked on Hubby's Black Watch socks - straight stockinette for car knitting is the way to go.

There's one more day to get your comments in from my December 24th post - guess the number of knitted Christmas gifts I gave away and you could win this:

Wellington Fibres, 3 ply 50% mohair, 50% wool, 140 grams, 200 yards of light worsted weight - colourway SPRING BREAK TWEED - it's a beautiful steely blue with tweedy bits of mauve and pink and purple...

As a hint - so far, everyone is guessing low! There's still time to revise your guess!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I'm allowed to 're-guess', my guess is 55! You had a lot of beaded bracelets, non?

Wow to that sewing machine! What a fabulous gift! I bet you're dying to go home and try it out, rather than be at work right now like me. And to work away on those most cool Selbus.

Anonymous said...

Your sewing machine looks great!!
I got a Singer Golden TouchnSew in 1964 and I'm the only problem it has. I also discovered that I collect treadle sewing machines in every manifestation. Now I have to revise my guess--thanks for the opportunity. since 9 sticks in my mind, I'm guessing 39 gifts, and I am in reverential awe of your crafty giftedness.
Marlyce in Windsor, ON.

Carol said...

Hey, "elevendy" is not a low number! I'm hurt....

katrynka said...

Okay, since you said it was low, I am going with 59!! I am really going to have to look further into the beaded jewelry knitting!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, those guesses were too low? Oh my. I was impressed before, now I'm floored. OK I'll reguess really high at 75.
Phyll in FL

Saren Johnson said...

Work, isn't it fun this week? Hmm I guess 89. Not that I have a real clue how many items you've made the past year. :)