Monday, January 29, 2007

where to start...

Where do I begin? Let's see...
Saturday morning I met up with Lucky for our yarn crawl/cast-on class. We met at 10:30am - plenty of time for our 3pm class, wouldn't you say? Hmmmm... time to kill. Well, Romni Wool is close by, let's just browse around there for a bit...
A hundred odd dollars later, but armed with the most delicious alpacas, wools and some needles (because I always need more of thise...) we headed off for a quick lunch at a cool little Tibetan restaurant. Yum! Wandered over to Metro Hall for our class, and found that there were only 4 of us. Not great for the DKC, but it worked for us. Elizabeth, the instructor was able to go into way more depth about each cast on, as well as where it is best used, and how it looks with different applications (stockinette, garter, hems, ribs etc.) She was also able to take us through some cast offs as well. I hate to be selfish, but if there had been any more people in the class, we would not have got through half as much, and I certainly would not have retained as much as I did. My favourite part? We started with the e-wrap cast on. I was ready to blow this one off - who uses it? It's too loose, it has no body... What? You can use it in place of a provisional? It really looks THAT great on a hemmed edge? Tell me again why I have been ignoring this deceptively simple, incredibly useful little gem?? I pretty much slapped the forehead a la Homer Simpson at this point. And we still had most of the class to go. It just kept getting better. The multi colour long tail cast on? LOVE IT! And so on, and so on...
Headed home after class - took the subway out to the 'burbs where I had left my car, and finished Hubby's Cape Cod socks on the way home. I also got to watch the mating dance of the horny herd of teenage girls. This group of little hotties zeroed in on a group of guys - way too funny. I had to keep checking my knitting, I was sure I was going to drop a stitch while trying not to laugh out loud. Geez, I hope I wasn't like that...
A nice segue into this picture -

The finished Cape Cod socks for Hubby. KnitPicks Sock Memories in Cape Cod colourway. 2.25mm bamboo dpns, short row heel and toe. (the last provisionally cast on with a crochet chain toe I plan on every doing - e-wrap from now on, baby!). I finish with a 2x2 rib with Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn cast off - nice and stretchy, and meets with hubby's approval.

I am impressed with the KnitPicks Sock Memories Yarn - nice and cushy, great depth of colour, and nice to knit. A tad (small tad, but still, a tad) splitty, but nothing that couldn't be fixed or even avoided if I bothered to look at what I was doing once in a while!

Also, the finished ruffly scarf.

I never did find the second ball - I will now, since I don't need it. The scarf isn't quite as deep as I would like it, but here's how much yarn was left over:

This is slated for a charity auction price. My buddy Sue (she of the golf socks Christmas gift), belongs to a club, and they are having a charity auction next month. She is also the recipient of the hot pink Kid Silk ruffled scarf, and the ladies where she curls and golfs go ape over it every time she wears it. So she asked if I could make one for her auction. She's the best friend I could have, does a ton of nice things for me, hubby and son, so of course I said yes. I also have some red Ovation and probably enough time to make another one for the auction. Deadlines are good - they help keep me focused.
Tomorrow - the Handmaiden Sea Silk Melon scarf progress...

1 comment:

Molly said...

Your class sounds wonderful and like one I wish I could take. The knitting books I own descibe how to do a technique but rarely explain when is the best time to use it. Now I am curious as to how one would use an e wrap cast on instead of a provisional cast on for a toe up sock. Please enlighten me! My sympathies regarding your job situation. It often seems as though management wants to accomplish everything except the job at hand.