Thursday, January 25, 2007

I actually finished something!

Maybe I'm not a lost cause after all - I actually finished something I started.

The moebuis is complete.
Specs:
Moebuis neck cowl - my own design, using Cat Bordhi's moebuis cast on technique. I cast on about 120 stitches, and did seed stich for about 7 inches in width, finishing with an attached 4 stitch I-cord.

I love the I-cord bind off - it's a nice finish to this piece. For the next one, I will cast on fewer stitches - this one is a little large, and doesn't snug up against the neck, but the folded part sits nicely at the nape of the neck. I think worn under a jacket, and sort of scrunched around the neck, this will be very nice. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it for myself - I might, but I enjoed this process, and I have some delicious forest green alpaca that I may do in a muted lace pattern next...
I used not quite two balls of the Mille Colori by Lang - I don't have the ball band here, but I beleive the yardage is around 90 metres, so we're talking less than 200 metres on a 5.5mm needles. I can only make these in yarns that work with 5.5mm or 2.75mm needles, as they are the only ones I have that are at least 100cm long.
This picture, while similar to the first, shows where the whole thing starts - yes, that is the cast on tail, right there in the middle. You really have to see this technique to get your head around it.

Now, my next problem is the totally unorganized, MESS that is my stash! Why oh why do I do something as stupid as this: Buy two balls of Kertzer Ovation to make a ruffly scarf that I promised for a charity auction prize. Cast on right away (then ignored it for weeks, but that's a whole other problem...) and put one ball and WIP in a ziploc bag. AND PUT THE OTHER BALL WHO KNOWS WHERE?? What the hell was I thinking? I know this scarf will use both balls, and the ziploc is plenty large enough to hold both. Guess what I'm doing tonight - yup, diving into the mess. I hope to make it out by tomorrow - I've left instructions with husband to get me out in time to meet Lucky on Saturday for our cast on class/yarn crawl...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an incredibly beautiful cowl. I'm going to have a look for that yarn. This will look great in many ways--over a shirt collar, inside a jacket,etc. Where were the directions for the cast on--i.e. which book/article by Cat? I did a moebius capelet by Candace Eisner Strick, and did something wrong because there are several rows of straight stitch before the garter stitch pattern--I could sort of hide it by the foldover, because I sure didn't want to knit it over (this is the merging colours kit which has 29 shades of yellow/green/blue--a result of mixing fibres) Beautiful job.
Enjoy your dive into your stash. May you find many treasures.

Unknown said...

It's reeely purdy Sandra!!! I'd loe to see a pic of you wearing it.

CatBookMom said...

The scarf is absolutely gorgeous!! I fell off the KFTS wagon and ordered some of that yarn, different colorway - yeah, with purple, no surprise - and it's on its way here. The colors make that look incredibly rich and elegant. Did you follow a particular pattern or did you just wing it? Or, how many sts cast on and what stitch pattern?

Cindy G said...

Oh, the Moebius is really elegant looking. I think worn under a jacket will be very nice indeed!

Anonymous said...

I saw said Moebius in person and I can assure you, it is luverly.

LOVE stash-diving. It's amazing what you forgot you had in there, and then you open up a whole bunch of new projects to start that you really didn't need to start!

Molly said...

The moebius is lovely and the i-cord bind off is the perfect finishing touch.