Wednesday, January 17, 2007

no pictures

No pictures because, really, there's nothing to see. I've got the sleeves of the angel done, and just need to do the skirt, then it's putting it all together and starching the you-know-what out of it. The Cape Cod sock is at the heel now, thanks to son's basketball practice last night. The Socks that Rock Metamorphic is pretty much there as well, so it's a matter of a couple of short row heels then the home stretch for both. I'm actually thinking of trying a new short row technique on the next pair - Wendy has a very well written, well laid out comprehensive tutorial on her toe up short row socks that uses a wrap and turn technique, rather than the yarn over technique that I presently use. I may try that and see how it works out.
Speaking of son's basketball practice - we're in the second session now, and there was a little switching around of teams as some new players came in and some previous ones dropped out. Son is 7-almost-8 and plays in the 7-10 year old section, so he's always been the youngest on the team, but this time around, there is at least one other 7 year old, so son is happy. We also have a new coach, Coach Ron, who seemed a little fazed about me knitting. The other parents are used to it (we have two new parents that stay to watch, but three returning fathers keep track of what I'm working on). It's funny - there is a lot of interest in the Hubby socks! But Coach Ron kept looking over. During a water break, while Son was gulping down the water, Coach Ron came over and asked what I was making. I told him a sock. Then Son pipes up - "My Mom ALWAYS knits. You get used to it after a while". Out of the mouths of babes, I guess. After that, there didin't seem to be any interest, until one of the fathers picked up the completed sock of the pair. (Yes, he asked first). He was shocked at how nice it felt. I guess he was expecting that icky acrylic feel or something. After that, the sock was fondled a bit by everyone, and one mother scooched closer to me to watch. It seemed she was a knitter years ago. I may have relit the flame. We'll see, as the basketball season progresses.
Tonight is swimming lessons. Wonder if I'll convert anyone there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The toe up sox I finally figured out used that wrap-and-turn thingy that we learned in our class. It was pretty fun. If that's what Wendy is showing in her new version, go for it!

Anonymous said...

The toe up sox I finally figured out used that wrap-and-turn thingy that we learned in our class. It was pretty fun. If that's what Wendy is showing in her new version, go for it!