Thursday, January 04, 2007

plans for 07

While I am not one to make New Year's Resolutions, I am a list maker. I keep myself somewhat organized by making multitudes of "to-do" lists. When life is as full as mine is, lists are the only way to keep it going. And I add to that by includng Hubby and Son, as neither of them would ever be anywhere even remotely on time without me. Not bragging, just stating fact. And if you knew either of them, they would wholeheartedly agree. I'm even talking about getting up and off to work/school in the morning. If not for me yanking them out of bed, they'd still be there. Hubby can have an alarm going off 3 inches from his face, and I have to reach over his snoring bod to turn it off. Seriously. I have no idea what he does when I'm not around.
Anyhoo, lists. While I haven't officially organized my "what I want to knit in 07" list, I can start off with a few things. First off, I want to knit less for other people. Not that I don't love my family and friends, I do. I just think that 2-3 knitted gifts per person in some cases may be a little more than necessary. Of course, I say this every year, and end up adding to the pile. Oh well. Another thing is only knitting for those that really love it and appreciate it. My golfing buddy Sue? She got three pairs of cotton golf socks this year. And she will get even more throughout the year - she loved them that much. This is a girl that went out and bought golf shirts to match the socks! I love her. She gets lots of knitting. My two SILs that got chenille scarves and slippers? Still near the top of the list. The slippers went on and stayed on through Christmas, and the scarves were immediately tucked around jackets to be worn home. Love that. The SIL who got the Icarus shawl? Well, she didn't join the family for Christmas (too tired/too sick, but really, she just hates the crowd aspect. Suck it up girl - it's your FAMILY, and we're only talking about 4 hours.) Still haven't heard directly from her about the shawl. I gather she likes it - she called her mom and told her it was beautiful, and asked if she had seen it. MIL (bless her) said quite pointedly that NO ONE had seen it, since SIL didn't bother to join us for Christmas. I still haven't heard from her. To be honest, I'm a little surprised. This SIL is all about appreciating the hand knits, so I'm not sure what's going on. Mom, MIL and FIL will continue to get socks and stuff - they really appreciate them and look after them, so they stay near the top of the list. There will be other people added to the list and some removed as the years grows, I'm sure.
I'm going to try to knit more for me, Hubby and Son. What is it they say about the shoemaker's children going barefoot? (And just who are "they" anyways?) Other than some socks through the year, not enough of my handknits stay within the walls of our house. I hope to change that. Son could use some socks, and maybe a new neckwarmer or hat. Hubby too. And then there's me. I really don't keep alot of stuff. Hopefully I can change that. I kept the Harlot scarf and certainly plan on keeping the Sea Silk Stole, but we'll see what else remains with us.
I want to continue knitting lace - it gives me great pleasure to see the fabric build upon itself.
I'm taking a course this month on different cast ons - I would like to expand the technical knowledge I have so I really am using the right cast on / cast off for a project instead of my usual cable cast on all the time.

And you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I received my prize today, for guessing (albeit incorrectly) the numbers of knitted projects you gave as presents, charity, etc.
The Patons Bohemian is gorgeous! Thank you so much. It was very generous of you to send it, especially knowing how expensive Canada Post is. (Someday we'll find a way to email stuff to each other and will not be dependent on their outrageous prices and less than great service.) I will send a donation to Doctors Without Borders in your name. My plan is to knit a scarf where the edge stitches are unravelled and make a floppy self fringe along the edges. I saw this done and it is quite fetching. Thanks again for the prize.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

Airsoft Man said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly said...

Fortunately, my family members manage to get out of bed on their own power because I'm the one with stay-in-bed-itis. Your resolutions for the new year are impressive. I, too, find it hard to make things for myself. Much gratification comes from having the gifts be appreciated which is probably why I keep knitting for others. By the way, I did send you an email about the contest and hope you received it. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you.