Monday, July 28, 2008

stay-cation recap

4 days off, and lots got done! We didn't go to the cottage - the weather did not look like it was going to be in out favour, so we decided to stay home and attend to the sorely neglected homestead. On Thursday and Friday, my son and I played mini golf, went to the driving range, went out to lunch with friends, rode our bikes, and generally had a great time. He is starting to show teenager tendencies - at 9 years old, he's sleeping in until 9am or so. I have no complaints! My husband on the other hand, was grumbling a bit about having to get up and go to work.

Although Friday, we had a rude awakening when the phone rang at 5:30am. It was the Security company, reporting a possible break-in at hubby's office. Now, he has the alarm because about 3 months ago, he had a break-in and all the computers were stolen. SO this freaked us out a bit. He took off to the office, and I was awake. Son heard the commotion, and came into our room. I guess he picked up on the tension, because he wasn't going back to sleep either. The two of us laid in bed, both reading until we got the phone call from hubby - false alarm. However, by that time, there was no getting Son back to sleep, so we had a early start to the day.

Saturday, the weather predictions came true - at the cottage, we were hearing of non stop rain, whereas at home, we had some sun, and some of this: Yes that is hail - compared to a golf balla quarter and a toonie. Fun stuff! We stood outside under the overhang as long as we could to watch, but it drove us inside pretty quickly. It was over in no time, and there was very little damage done to our property, but some of the street got hit pretty hard.

So I did what any self respecting knitter/sewer/weaver would do - I headed inside and started creating: I drafted my own skirt pattern for this, using this book - http://www.amazon.ca/Sew-What-Skirts-Fabulous-Fabrics/dp/1580176259/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217247491&sr=8-1 - huge recommendations for this book - I've never had a skirt fit me so well!and used an existing jacket pattern with a few mods to take advantage of the border embroidery. I also got some weaving done, but that's a story for another day...

5 comments:

Needles said...

Those turned out really well, Sandra. I love how you pair fabrics. My greatest flaw is being too conservative with prints.

Thanks for the book recomendation. Its about time they started putting out good how to fit books for sewers, but more than that, this sort of fit book is making my crochet and knitting be better too.

Anonymous said...

Glad the creativity reigned! Or shall I say, rained?

Philosophical Karen said...

Beautiful outfit. And scary hail. Oh, and thank goodness the security call was a false alarm.

Anonymous said...

When life gets antsy, creating is coping. But wow, that hail is impressive!

Carol said...

Holy Hail, Batman! That must have been an impressive storm.