Thursday, July 10, 2008

new yarn

I bought new yarn on Tuesday. We had a Guild meeting, and we hold our meetings, as you know, in a wool shop. Very handy. However, people were conspiring to keep me from buying, (cough*Nancy*cough), by pulling me away from wool and making me discuss things. I thwarted her, however, and managed to drop some cash in exchange for this: Cadenza sock yarn (80% superwash merino, 20% tussah silk). Yum. (And the red is a much richer, deeper, red, not the pink that appears above. The green is pretty close to true.) There may have also been this in my bag: Misti Alpaca sock yarn. Yes, alpaca sock yarn. Yumminess in a skein. 50% baby alpaca, 30% merino, 10% silk, 10% nylon.

As much as all this is sock yarn, I think it will become woven scarves. The red is perfect for my friend Jennifer, the green, as much as I want to keep it, will go with my Mom's alpaca winter coat, and the alpaca sock, well, as much as my SIL would love it, I may have a tough time giving it away. We'll see.
I may also be planning on going back to the store (tonight!) and buying more alpaca sock - My FIL is lobbying for a super soft sock for Christmas. I may have found the perfect one. And there is a black, grey, cream handpainted colourway - perfect for the guy that only wears black, brown, grey, blue, and maybe dark green. Maybe. And I know my MIL will hand wash them - she always does.
I had a little issue with the woven black silk and bamboo scarf. It seems the 20" width I was working on was eating up the yarn faster than I wanted. So I unwove (de-wove??) what I had done, cut some of the warp threads to make it close to 12-14" and started again. I think this will be better, since I want it at least 5 feet long.

6 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Gotta a love a post with a title like that. Nice haul!

Anonymous said...

I had a weaving friend who told me if I took up weaving I could use up my stash a whole lot faster than by knitting.

Not that I ever followed her advice. Meantime, that yarn looks like great fun to play with, and it's great fun to learn a new fiber art.

Needles said...

I have touched the Misti sock yarn and felt love, much much love.

The colourway you have is the one I think is going to sell like hotcakes.

Anonymous said...

I protest!!! I wasn't trying to prevent stash enhancement!!!!!!!!!!
I just needed to discuss fabulous wondrous news about bus trips to Kitchener for more stash enhancement!!!
Nancy

P.S. - Short row heel #2 is complete - thanks for the lesson!!!

CatBookMom said...

Pretty, pretty! The green looks much like the Lonesome Stone alpaca that I got in January and used for my Wool Peddler's Shawl. Like you, most of my hand-dyed sock yarn isn't destined for socks.

Carol said...

I like the red. Very nice stash enhancement. Even if it IS weaving stash. Hey, does that mean you can have twice as much stash since it could be for 2 hobbies?