Monday, July 21, 2008

finally! an update!

I'm back. We won't discuss the issues I've had - I ended up working from home for a while because I was getting ready to throw things. My boss was completely in my corner, so I now have anew computer, with the hamster drive replaced by something much more twentieth century. Maybe sometime soon I'll upgrade to the twenty first, but that depends on how much I decide to suck up to the I. T. department...

I've been weaving. I love it. I really do. I still consider myself a Knitter first and foremost, but there's nothing wrong with diversifying my leisure time activities. I sew, I quilt, now I weave. I've done some test items, and my first real project was this scarf made with a thin (think fine laceweight) bamboo warp, and woven with the black silk Tilli Tomas Disco Lights. I love how this fabric came out. It's actually a deep, ebony black, with the sheen that comes from silk, and the sparkly bits of the black sequins. Delicious.
however, I don't like the size. It's too short for the width. When it's this short, it loses drape, and I want the drape. So... I'm going to rip it out, and rewarp (thankfully, I bought a cone of the bamboo, so I have tons left). I'm going to make it about half the width and twice the length. That should make an already beautiful piece just about perfect. However, that will have to wait, as I've already rewarped the loom with the red Cadenza. Yummy.
I've been taking the loom to the cottage, and getting some time with it there, however, this past weekend was just too humid to be working with so much wool, so there wasn't as much done on it. I originally had starting weaving the cadenza somewhat loosely, and decided to tighten it up to create a denser fabric. I bought another skein of it to ensure I would get the length I wanted, so it may take a little longer than I first expected, but that's OK. It's all a learning process.
I did make a fair bit of progress on the alpaca sock, as well as the Eliza wool sock, so things are going well. I've got a short week this week - taking Thursday and Friday off, since my sitter is away, so the boy and I will have a short "stay-cation" and get some things done around our place - we'll get to the driving range, and play some mini-golf, as well as other more mundane things (taking my car for a tune up, cleaning out the house a bit...), but it's all good. And I can read blogs again! I was trying to get caught up at home, but I didn't always get the change to get near a computer, so I"m a bit behind. Management here is great about personal use during lunch and other off times, as long as it is not abused.
Reading back over this post, I realize that I'm all over the place, kind of stream of consciousness, but I've got to get going, so lucky you, you get to read my drivel.
Back soon, and hopefully more coherently...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I imagine frogging weaving is a lot harder than frogging knitting.

Carol said...

Yay! Hamsterwheel is gone! Does that mean you have moved up to a ferret-wheel?

deirdre said...

Sandra, that's just gorgeous!! A shame to take it apart, but all part of the learning curve, I guess...

I'm still fighting for a quiet couple of hours to focus on warping the thing... you've got me completely inspired!