Wednesday, July 23, 2008

a night out, and a short stay-cation

Last night, I headed down to the Bathurst Clark Library in Vaughan to see Stephanie talk. As always, an enjoyable evening. It was a small group of us, which really allows Stephanie's personality to shine through. She got over her initial nervousness quite quickly, and read excerpts from her new book, which were then expanded on with discussions and questions from the crowd - not easily done in groups of a hundred or more, but easily accomplished in a small group. After the talk, Stephanie, Rachel H, myself and two other York Region Knitting Guild members, Nancy and Margaret, walked over to a local watering hole for a frosty glass of something and some snacks. It was great to sit down and chat for a bit. While I had my camera with me, cam-nesia struck, and there is no record of this evening, at least from my perspective. I think Stephanie took some pictures - I hope she got one of the cutest baby in the world, who was vocal and happy and just a joy to watch. Over beer, we discussed Stephanie's annual jaunt to Aurora in August - it is happening, however, it's another small gathering, due to space constraints, so we're keeping it to Guild Members and their guests. And yes, there is still time to join the Guild - check us out on Ravelry!

I'm taking Thursday and Friday off work this week - my sitter is away, and I have no coverage for the boy, so I happily decided to stay with him! We are doing the mundane - hair cuts, car maintenance, grocery shopping, cleaning up the gardens and getting some jewellery repaired, as well as the fun - miniature golf, driving range, swimming with friends. We could have gone to the cottage for a long weekend, but we really need a few "at home days" to do the stuff above. I may or may not get near the computer - I find when I have the time at home, I use it for other things. I plan on sewing some skirts with some fabulous fabric I got on sale, and I want to spend time weaving my Red Cadenza wrap. the sooner I finish this, the sooner I can attack the black silk Disco Lights scarf again. And other things. I have so many projects planned - knitting, sewing, weaving, that I will never get to them all. But isn't that what we all do? Isn't that part of life? Taking a few minutes each day to plan out what you WOULD do if you COULD carve out the time. Instead, I do the things I SHOULD do, just to keep things running somewhat smoothly. But it's nice to dream...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always say, the day I have finished everything there ever could be to do and have nothing left to do is the day that: a) I may as well die or b) I no longer have a job. So bring on the never-ending things to do and let's enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Lucky - let's enjoy!
Nancy

Carol said...

Oh yes, Dreaming is what keeps me moving forward. If it was all, do the groceries so I can have dinner and then wash dishes and then put away laundry....I think I'd going noisily mad!

As it is, my queue is insane. (just to keep to the madness theme)

Saren Johnson said...

I take random days off during the year to keep me from calling in sick. It seems to work well. Enjoy the time and I hope you get something completed.

Sel and Poivre said...

So funny I just drafted a post about dreaming of impracticle, impossible projects, 'took a break to stop in here to see what you had been up to and I see you're busy dreaming too! (In between getting all the other stuff done!)

smariek said...

How nice to have a 4-day weekend. There's always so much we want to do, but what would happen if we actually got around to everything? We'd be pretty darn bored!