Monday, July 14, 2008

gratuitous garden shots

I forgot to download knitting pictures - so here's a closeup of my elderberry tree in full bloom:

Lovely light scent on these - I know elderberries are useful in the herbal community, but I just love the way the flowers look - sort of like snow drifts on the branches.

I have a hollyhock in the back garden - I always forget about this one, because it's tucked away, out of the main traffic area. So when I checked last week, I was surprised to see the hollyhocks out in full force. And, I don't remember them being this deep purple, for some reason I thought they were pink.


And my daisies! I love my daisies - so fresh looking and cheerful. I have a couple of patches of these - my mom divided them from her garden, so that makes them even more special. She did the same with her peonies, and I love them - however, I totally gapped when it came to taking pictures of the peonies when they were at their prime a couple of weeks ago. I have 4 peony bushes, and had enough flowers for huge bouquets at our house, for my sitter, at the office, and at my husband's office. And that still left a ton of flowers on the bushes. Very prolific, my peonies.

And, in checking my son's garden - he's the "food grower" remember... I found his bean plants getting ready to feed us. The flowers are out, and setting, and tiny baby beans are starting up. I figure in a week or two, we will be inundated with green beans and I can't wait!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This rainy weather may be bad for the crops, but the outdoor plants are going insane. My geraniums and petunias look like they're on steroids.

CatBookMom said...

Pretty pictures! We're in between bloom cycles here, so it's not as "flower-ful".

Geraniums grow BIG here. Last summer we had one duking it out with a star jasmine over space on a 6ft trellis; the geranium was winning. It's now been pruned back into 2-3ft size and the jasmine is making up time.

The daisies are such smiley flowers!

Needles said...

I love elderberries. And the hollyhocks? That sometimes happens. I had some that seeded like that from a pink patch.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Linda said...

I love your daisies. I wish I had gotten some from my mother before she decided to get rid of hers.

My green bean plants are producing and we had freshly picked green beans for dinner last night. It's a great feeling. ; )

smariek said...

So pretty! Whenever I hear of elderberries, I think of growing them and pressing elderberry nectar in the Sims (computer game).

Rose said...

Beautiful photos of your garden. Really liked the yarn pictures too!