Tuesday, July 22, 2008

my new favourite sock yarn...

... at least until I get sidetracked by another one.

Misti Alpaca sock yarn. Not only does it come in some beautiful handpainted colourways, it's so soft in the skein, you just want to squoosh it and squish it, and do things to it that you probably shouldn't.

But you think, "it's too nice in the skein. It probably won't knit up so nice. (I can be a bit of a cynic). It will pool the colours, or be a little scratchy (fat chance) or it won't wear very well. It will be full of knots, (which annoy me to no end in sock and other yarn)." Here's where blogs need "feel-o-vision". You have to feel this to believe it. Soft, soft, soft. Strong (the silk and nylon are doin' their job). Incredible colour blending. From far away, this looks like the forest floor in autumn - a melding of all the colours of the fall leaves, creating their own special colour. Up close, it's even better. the individual colours shine through, snugging up against each other, looking like they were meant to be. And I'm giving these away. My FIL has major foot issues. Let's just say his dogs are among the ugliest on the face of the earth, and he's always looking for soft, comfortable socks. I've found them. These will be his Christmas gift, if I can hold on that long. I know he will love them, and I will be collecting other colourways for him.

And thanks for the nice comments on the black Disco Lights woven scarf yesterday. I frogged it last night, and it went remarkably well. I will rewarp my loom once I finish the red Cadenza wrap, and make the black scarf again, keeping it to 10-12 inches in width.
I can't wait - as Deirdre said, it's all part of the learning curve.

3 comments:

deirdre said...

Oh, nice stuff - your feel-o-vision worked well - I am hitting The Purple Purl this Friday evening, and if they have some, well, I'll just blame it on you, 'kay?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
Love the socks. I promised myself I would only knit from my stash, but this is soooo tempting.

I was also wondering if Stephanie was booked for her annual visit north? I'd like to reserve that date. What will the weather bring this year...extreme heat, cold, or maybe hail?

Was it you who mentioned locusts?
A. Lurker

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I want to find me some of that yarn.