Thursday, July 03, 2008

the learning curve continues...

I'm having fun with the loom, and looking around at my stash to see what I can weave up next. I finally got the hang of warping, but it's still the most time consuming part of the process, as well as the least fun. But man, once that's done, the fun begins!

I just did a short test piece with the three colours of Briggs and Little, but I can see this being a nice blanket type fabric - I'm picturing 6-7 foot long stripes, 22" across, sewn together as a nice blanket.

Right now, I've warped some milk chocolate brown and turquoise cotton, and will be weaving the same through it. Hope you like it, Jen!

And once I really feel comfortable with this, I'm going to warp some of the black bamboo I bought, then for the weft, I'm going to use the black silk Disco Lights I bought at the Knitters Frolic. I can see t his being a drapey, quite fluid wrap type scarfy thing (such a technical term...) that I will not give away!

I've also been knitting and have completed a pair of socks, as well as making a ton of progress on my copper lace shawl. The Kauni math continues, and I 'm hoping to get this cast on soon.

4 comments:

deirdre said...

Oh, your idea for a wrap sounds gorgeous!

Did you buy smaller heddles for the loom?

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh the other day at the picture of your loom: my folks bought my oldest sister one like that when she was in high school. She later gave it to Carolyn, my other older sister, who promptly forgot she had it and then for years insisted that *I* had it, I'd just lost it and forgotten. She really wanted to learn to use the thing and really wished I would just get off my duff and find where I put it and send it to her.

Then Carolyn moved, and in packing up her house, guess what she found in her attic? Took me ten years to get vindicated. Heh.

Sel and Poivre said...

I can't even tell you how compelling I find the idea of weaving blankets to be.

I rarely knit afghans but I love the idea of making bonafide blankets. So far the only way I've ever been able to satisfy this is to buy yardage of pure wool and bind the edges with decorative stichery or contrasting edging.

I'm looking so forward to seeing one of your 6' long strips!

Sel and Poivre said...

I can't even tell you how compelling I find the idea of weaving blankets to be.

I rarely knit afghans but I love the idea of making bonafide blankets. So far the only way I've ever been able to satisfy this is to buy yardage of pure wool and bind the edges with decorative stichery or contrasting edging.

I'm looking so forward to seeing one of your 6' long strips!