Friday, December 08, 2006

trying to distract you

Since I have no knitting content today, I will distract you with a pretty picture

This was the sunrise this morning as I drove into work. If you ignore the fact that I need to clean the windows of my car, this is the sort of thing that makes it worthwhile getting up in the morning. (although, then I get into work, and well, it blows the whole "what a great day!" feeling.)
But here's the interesting part of my drive. This is something that has bugged me since they planted these trees in the fall. Now, I'm all for trees. The more the merrier. I love walking in the back bush at the cottage, especially in the fall, but really, any time of year. Trees were one of the defining issues when we bought our house - we couldn't buy in a new subdivision, because there were no trees anywhere. (Now, we probably have too many on our small lot, but whatever, we like it, and I have become the master of shade gardening!) Anyway, along one of the roads I drive along, they planted a line of trees. I like this. In a few years, there will be a line of stately maples, shading the road, cleaning the air, all that good stuff. (Sorry for the crappy pictures - the sun wasn't all the way up, and well, I was driving at the time. Believe me when I tell you what is actually in the pictures. Really. It's what is really there.)
Here's the good part:

Planted along a guardrail, a nice 10 feet from the road - a good distance to allow for the roots to spread, etc. Further on the same road, they had to move the line of trees closer to the road - now the trees are only about 3 feet from the road - and I can see in a few years the trees either dying or the roots pushing up the asphalt. This seems dumb to me. Why did they move the trees closer to the road, you may ask?

BECASUE THERE WAS A FOREST IN THE WAY!
Ok, am I the only one who thinks this is asinine? The cost of the trees, the cost of the labour involved in the planting, etc.
Just another entry in stupid government decisions.
Knitting to come after the weekend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, Nancy. Great minds think alike. That's what I was going to say, so, seeing that you said it so well, I'll second it!!

TracyKM said...

I've been sick and so clueless about this post :) THen I realized when you say they moved the line of trees to 3 ft from the road, you didn't mean, they dug up the trees that were at 10 ft and moved them...when they were doing the roadside planting the line swerved towards the road 7ft....to allow for the trees that were already there at the 10ft mark! Now I get it. DOH! Man I'm sick. (So sick I forgot to pick up Huey for our weekly lunch date).