Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas Meme (or, no knitting content today, folks!)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate - I think I'm the only one so far - I can't stand egg nog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
He wraps them in his own special wrapping paper, and puts them in a six foot stocking that gets left by the tree. It's great fun to watch Young Son dive into the very tiptoe of the stocking to find the very small gifts that Santa leaves there. Santa also leaves footprints of magical North Pole snow leading from the fireplace to the stocking. He's very kind, as it the non-melting type that we can simply sweep up.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Mostly coloured, against my will - I'm a white light fan, but since Hubby hangs the outdoor ones, they are coloured. I'm working on a change.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope, no need. I take my kisses anytime and anywhere I can!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
I have a late November birthday, so I am adamant that Christmas does not appear until well after my birthday! We put the outdoor ones up early December and turn them on as soon as others on the street do. The tree went up last weekend because we had free time to go get one.

6.What is your favorite holiday dish?
Turkey and stuffing. My own basic bread / sage stuffing, but my secret is the bread I use - a combo of egg bread, multigrain baguette, ciabatta and any earthy type bread around.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Every Christmas, my brother and I (Who DID NOT GET ALONG 364 days of the year) would wake up early and hang out together until we were allowed to wake up the parents. We would then open our gifts, Dad would put the turkey in, and we'd make "the rounds" We'd visit the M family, the T family and the L family. We'd get back home and have turkey and play with toys. Just a cool way to spend the day with family and friends.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
WHen I was a kid - the truth being that Santa brings things to good boys an girls. Why? What do you believe?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Only the ones from our friends that we spend Christmas Eve with.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Lots of lights. lots of ornaments - Yound Son makes a lot, so we have those front and centre.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Ummm... Canadian, remember? Love the snow, but prefer not to have to drive around Christmas Day in a blizzard! Love it when there's tons of snow at the cottage for New Years. Sadly, this year, it looks like a brownish/grey Christmas.

12. Can you ice skate?
Ummm... Canadian, remember? However, a broken ankle a few years back have cseverely curtailed this activity

13.Do you remember your favorite gift?
A photo album my Mom made up - pictures of grandparents, Mom and Dad's childhoods, them and Bro and I growing up, with enough room to add yound Son's pictures. And my fist 10-speed bike - very cool metallic green. Man, I loved that bike!

14.What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Time to relax with family and friends, and time off from the hell that is work

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
A turkey and stuffing sandwich, about 4 hours after dinner.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
sweeping up North Pole snow after Young Son has seen it.

17.What tops your tree?
An angel given to us for our first married CHristmas from dear friends that we spend evey Chrsitmas Eve with

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving stuff that I've knit.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
Bruce Springsteen singing Santa CLaus is coming to Town, and John Mellencamp's I saw Mommy kisisng Santa Claus

20. Candy Canes?
Yup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not like egg nog either! And the north pole snow is a cool idea! When we were kids, we hung up our stockings, put out cookies and milk for santa, and carrots for the reindeer, and left the Christmas tree that we had bought in the bucket of water on the back porch. Santa and his elves would decorate it while we were asleep and fill the stockings and pile the gifts. So it was very magical to wake up Christmas morning!