Friday, December 15, 2006

Icarus, she is done

And I love her. Note enough to keep her, but enough to think about keeping her... My SIL will love it and really care for it, which makes it easier to wrap up.
Specs:
Icarus shawl designed by Miriam Felton for Interweave Knits. Miriam is a genius pattern writer - great charts, and I will easily knit one of her patterns again.
Yarn - Knitpicks Shadow 100% merino in the Jewels colourway. These pictures in no way convey the depth of colour of this yarn - blue, but an undertone of violet with flecks of other shades. Very nice and holds up great to blocking.


Before blocking, she measured a mere 24 inches from top to point, and 52 inches along the wingspan.

Blocking brought the measurements to 36 inches top to point, and 74 inches along the wingspan.


Up close, you can see how the pattern opens up.
And finished, you can see the filminess of the yarn (yes, you can see my overcrowded kitchen table right through her!!)

Also, this is the first time I've really used my foam pads for blocking, and I love them! The pins stick right in and hold tight. It makes adjusting easy, and a bonus is they are nice and soft to kneel on! I may just get another set, as you can see that Icarus just fit, and I still needed to grab a couple of son's foam mat things to cover off a couple of points in the corners.

You will also see what appears to be blocking wires along the top. Not really. I helps to have a husband that engineers brewery equipment. We have this kind of stuff around the house. They are stainless steel rods, very thin and very strong. And now, they are mine. He is not getting them back!

Icarus gets added to the Christmas total! Have you made your guess? Yarn and stitch markers are on the line, here!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

She's wonderful Sandra - you did a fabulous job!!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! Really blossoms with blocking!

TracyKM said...

It's gorgeous. I'm glad you (and others) have knit it....and mentioned hitting the doldrums. Now I don't have to experience that for myself, LOL.
I'd take some guesses at your Christmas knitting, but I spent 50 minutes sitting on a wooden bench at Wal-Mart waiting for another prescription for Lucy. That was 50 minutes AFTER they said it would be ready. I'm so brain dead right now. I did look back in your blog quite a bit last night cause I thought I might be going to 'your' LYS today...but spent the morning in the ER...
Is there a deadline for the contest?

Anonymous said...

Icarus is beautiful!! I plan to do my first shawl after christmas! I am excited. I have done a few lace patterns, but nothing on that scale!

I think I shall just leave my guesses, as I have always had a history in school or changing right answers to wrong answers, so it will save me some angst!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!!! It was worth the wait! You made a fabulous piece. Where can I get a sister-in-law who knits gorgeous presents like you?