Friday, December 01, 2006

shocking!

Me and big ass needles don't get along. My favourite size is probably a 3.5mm to 4.5mm. They fit in my hand rather nicely, create a nice fabric (with the right wool), and are quite comfortable. Then again, I knit alot of socks, and prefer a 2mm for those. Not that I limit myself. I've been known to grab the 8mm or 9mm for something to be felted, or if a pattern demands it. I've also done beaded knitting on 1 mm needles - very sharp metal ones!
So this is a complete departure for me.


But, before anyone thinks I'm breaking out the fun fur next... (And yes, I've made my share of fun fur scarves. Shoot me.) This is for my SIL. The Tibetan Nun. (remember the socks? - yeah, they're almost done) The burgundy and gold are the holy colours of her faith, and to her, they are very powerful. Well, who am I to deny power to someone? I end up making or getting something each year in these colours - there were the years of the flannel pajamas, the tea set, the burgundy lace shawl last year... This year it's socks and a scarf. But not just any scarf. A silk scarf. But not just any silk:

I found this at the Kitchener Waterloo Knitters Fair. It was tucked away, and I'm sure Lucky thought I was an absolute idiot to buy not one, but two hanks of it (One burgundy, one gold). Would I have bought this if it wasn't called Baby Yeti? No way. It's thick, rough, unforgiving, and needs to be knit on 15mm needles to get any kind of drape. Warm? probably not. Attractive? not to me. But how could I resist anything called Baby Yeti? And it's from the Himalayas! It's meant for her, and she will love it for the tag and the origins if for nothing else...
She'd better - this stuff is killing me to knit. At least it's quick and will be over soon...

5 comments:

CatBookMom said...

The gods will reward you for the love you give to your SIL. The yarn is a perfect gift, even if she can only wear it over a coat. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

What a loving and generous sister-in-law you are. Is this your "bother's" wife? I think the burgundy and gold are the same colours as Harry Potter's scarf. I never thought of those as being in the sacred realm before, but it sort of fits the various spiritual and arcane themes in those books.
I am knitting an afghan for my niece's highschool graduation gift out of Boa (peacock colour) on 10 mm needles, and I am making it too big. It's going to be huge. And my left wrist really suffered when I used the straight needles. I switched to an addi turbo (was surprised to find it in that size) and was able to manage more than an hour of knitting at a time. So good luck with the scarf. Actually if it's that scratchy, you may have enough yarn to do a sort of lapghan/shoulder shawl for her meditative purposes. I find your blog very interesting. (I used to travel to Newmarket from Toronto daily when I worked at Warrendale--a residential treatment centre for emotionally disturbed children in the 60's.)Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

smariek said...

I'm sure she will love it, for its origins (Wow, baby yeti from the Himalyas!) and colour.

Did I read that correctly? 15mm (US19) needles?!

Then I'm looking at the yarn label which suggests size 6 needles (is that US6 or US10/6mm?) ... makes me wonder how we -- ok, newbie knitters like myself -- should read/interpret yarn labels when we're shopping for yarn.

Sandra said...

Marie - I cannot imagine using either a US6 or 6mm with this stuff, unless I wanted a piece of cardboard.
Maybe Nepal has a different yarn sizing system...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I never think yarn-buying of any kind is nuts! There is a method to the madness, right? Know what you mean about knitting on large needles. It's so strange when you're not used to it and yet it feels pretty good to get something done fairly quickly.