Tuesday, December 12, 2006

contest time!

It is official - I will be having a Christmas (or "sacred or secular gift-identified festival of your choice" if you prefer) contest. Yes, you can own some of my yarn if you can guess how many gifts I will be knitting for this year!

Rules:
1. leave a comment saying how many FINISHED gifts there will be, AS WELL AS how many "started, not yet done" gifts there will be.
2. Bonus question (used for tie-breaking) - how many gifts did I knit for charity?
3. One comment per person, please.
4. Contest closes December 22 - winners announced December 23. If something's not done by then, it ain't gonna be done in time!
5. Prizes will be awarded on a "first come, first served" basis. When I email you that you have won, you get to choose what you would like.

To even out the playing field, members of my Guild know the following:
- I have 22 members in my extended family. (But I don't knit for all of them, and some get more than one knitted gift).
- I knit for some of my friends and coworkers.
- I gave two items to my Guild charity drive, but remember! My mom snagged some, too!
- I count anything fibre-y - remember the woven scarves...

What can you win, you ask?
4 balls of Patons Bohemian - tweedy mix of browns and greys - very soft chenille.

6 balls of emerald green Twilleys Featherspun. I've had this stuff in my stash forever - knits up very nice, 15%wool 85%acrylic blend with a mohair-ish halo.

(here's a more accurate representation of the colour)

6 balls of regal purple Featherspun

4 balls of Elann Peruvian Highland Wool in Sapphire - a very rich, very deep blue almost purple. Already wound into centre pull balls, all same dyelot.

3 balls of Knit Picks Shadow - Jewels colourway.
440 yards of each. 100% Merino - who knew? I always thought this was alpaca. I don't know why I have so much of this - I've made 2 shawls of this - it's lovely, but I've used enough of this colour already! (One of the balls will be about 20 yards short - Icarus was greedy and needed a little extra)

1 ball of Knitpicks Shimmer - 70% alpaca, 30% silk, Grape Hyacinth colourway

1 ball of Regia sock yarn - enough for a pair of large men's socks

border="0" alt="" />
1 ball of Lana Grossa Melienweit Cotton sock yarn

Depending on how many right answers there are, I may also throw in some handmade stitch markers.

Knitters, start your guessing!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay--I'll give it a try. Nothing ventured--nothing gained, and some of your prizes are gorgeous. (Like I need more stash!!)
I'm guessing 50 completed gifts,
12 started but not finished gifts, and 15 projects donated to charity.
Marlyce in Windsor, Ontario

smariek said...

Oh gosh, I haven't followed your "history" of knitting to take a good educated guess, but I'll take a stab at it...

Finished gifts: 63
Started, not finished: 7
Charity: 19

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm going to give it a whirl:

1) 40 finished with 5 started
2) Charity = 10

Did I win?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am just guessing as well! I follow your blog faithfully... is one of my favs, but I do not keep an "accounting"!
Finished items: 34
Began but unfinished: 3
Charity: 7

LisaW. said...

I linked to your blog from another knitbuds so haven't followed curlerchik's fibery trials and triumphs...but what the heck....I'll try to be reality based here...

1) Finished giftees-26
2) Started but not finished-7
3) Charity-13

have a fabulous happy knitting day!

Heide said...

Finished gifts 24
WIPs 4
Charity 8

Molly said...

finished 14
started not finished 6
charity 5

Anonymous said...

I know you've been very productive as usual this year. I'm choosing my favourite number, 42, as the number of finished gifts. I figure you'll have about 12 in the basket and about 20 items donated to charity. And by the way, it really doesn't matter at all that you donated them to your mother's charity drive instead of our Guild's; in fact, it made her feel good so it makes us feel good too! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Another wild guess - 25 finished items, 15 to charity, and 10 UFOs. I wish I were as productive as you - well done!

TracyKM said...

Okay. Here's goes.
9 pairs felted slippers
10 hats
6 scarves
1 shawl
10 pairs of socks
2 items to local charity
10 items to Mother's charity
So that makes 48 items, not including the ones you've just announced you 'need' to make.
I'm guessing two unfinished socks :)

Anonymous said...

I finished a beautiful shawl done with handspun llama/merino. I'm the recipient (One new shawl/year, finished 2 weeks ago).
Only new baby in my world has a new had and blanket.
Continually knitting/weaving premmie hats/blankets. 4 done.
I am almost glad it's winter as the urge to work with fibre is rampent now, a day isn't complete without "making something with fibre".
A beautiful rainbow sunrise is greating me so I wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Cheers
Ann (ann.jackson@sympatico.ca)

Philosophical Karen said...

Hi, yours is just about the only reference I can find on the web to Twilleys Featherspun. I just picked some up at a thrift shop and I'm trying to add information on it to Ravelry (are you on Ravelry?) The labelling on mine is so old it doesn't even say how many metres/yards in a ball, only the weight. I'm guessing yours is probably more modern than what I have, but maybe you've already awarded it to someone and don't have access to the information any more. :(

I'm just trying to find out how many metres/yards in a 50g ball, without having to unwind it and measure it myself! (I'm not sure if you can help me at all, but if you can my email is in my Blogger profile.)

Thanks, Karen.